Alcohol and entertainment

If your business provides any licensable activities such as sell alcohol, hot food and drink, or provide certain types of public entertainment, you will need a licence from us as part of the Licensing Act. A public register is currently being compiled which will give details of all licences and certificates granted under the Licensing Act 2003.

A licensable activity can be:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol at a club
  • the provision of regulated entertainment e.g. live or recorded music, dancing, indoor sporting event
  • the provision of facilities to allow regulated entertainment to take place
  • the provision of late night refreshment between 11pm and 5am.

There are four types of licences which you can apply for:

  1. If you sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, you should apply for a Premises Licence
  2. If you are a club that supplies alcohol, regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, apply for a Club Premises Certificate
  3. If you supply or authorise the sale of alcohol, (other than in premises having a Club Premises Certificate) then you will need to apply for a Personal Licence.
  4. If you are organising a small scale (less than 500 people) event and intend to sell alcohol/refreshments or provide regulated entertainment, then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Important documents

  • Licensing Act 2003 Policy 
  • Template for a newspaper notice - premises and club premises certificate newspaper notice 
  • Template notice of new application for premises-club premises certificate - premises and club premises certificate new application 
  • Licensing consultees list - Responsible Authorities have an important role to play within the Licensing regime, not only can they make representations in respect of licence applications, but they can also ask the Licensing Authority to review premises licences. You must give a copy of any application form and a copy of the accompanying documents to the responsible authorities on the same day that the application form is given to the council. If you submit your application to the Licensing Authority electronically, then we will, in accordance with the legislation, send copies to the responsible authorities.

Licensing Reviews

The operators of licensed premises are required to actively promote the four licensing objectives:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Public safety
  • Protection of children from harm

Any interested party or responsible authority may call for the review of a premises licence if they believe that the licensing objectives are not being promoted.

Calling for a Review

Application for a review must be made on the Licensing Review application form, and submitted to: Licensing Team, North East Derbyshire District Council, 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Derbyshire S42 6NG. Copies must also be sent on the same day to the premises licence holder and to each of the responsible authorities. Failure to send these copies may render the application as invalid. To obtain a form please contact the Licensing Team by phone on 01246 217884/01246 217885 or by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..



 01246 242424
 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.