By Elections

A by-election is usually held to fill a casual vacancy, which occurs on either the death or resignation of a councillor. An election would not be held if that councillor was due to retire within six months.

Some parishes are warded, which means that they are split into areas that are represented by specific councillors. Sometimes, therefore, the Notice of Vacancy will specify the Parish ward that the vacancy is in.

When a vacancy arises, electors from within the Parish or relevant Parish ward, where the Parish is warded, may call for an election by writing to the Returning Officer at Bolsover District Council. The Notice of Vacancy will list the Parish (and Parish ward, if relevant) and the date by which electors must contact the Returning Officer to request an election.

Where an election isn’t called, the Parish Council may choose someone to fill the vacancy without an election (co-option).

Tibshelf Parish


 01246 242424
 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.