Disabled Facilities Grant

If you or a person living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to adapt your property to enable the disabled person to live as independently as possible.

Owner-occupiers, landlords and a wide range of tenants can apply for a DFG. You can apply if you are the disabled person, the landlord of a disabled person, or someone living with a disabled person.

Private sector tenants require consent from their landlord prior to any works being carried out.

However, if you are a tenant of Bolsover District Council then any adaptations will be delivered by our Housing Department.

Do I qualify for a grant?

The disabled person will need to have an assessment by occupational health at Derbyshire County Council, who will advise us what works are considered necessary and appropriate for your or their needs.  If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.

If Derbyshire County Council decide that adaptations are required, they will then forward recommendations to us and we will make sure that the works are reasonable and practical for your home.

How do I apply?

If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.  If an adaptation is determined as necessary, your case will be referred to the District Council and we will contact you to progress your application.

If you wish to discuss this in more detail, please contact the Technical Support Team in Environmental Health on 01246 217873

What adaptations can be carried out?

Typical work may include:

  • Providing adequate wash facilities e.g. replacing a bath with a level access shower
  • Adapting heating and lighting controls, e.g. by placing them at wheelchair height
  • Facilitating access into the home or within it to the bathroom or bedroom, e.g. by a stair lift

How is the grant calculated?

Applicants must be financially means tested to assess whether you are required to make a contribution towards the works. Any contribution depends on your household income and household savings over £6,000. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

The maximum grant payable is £30,000.

There are conditions to the grant which means that the amount of grant may be reclaimed if the property changes hands within the 10-year condition period.  Any repayment will be limited to amounts that exceed £5000, but will not exceed a repayment of £10,000.

It is important not to start any works before formal grant approval is issued as payments cannot be made for costs incurred prior to formal grant approval.


 01246 242424
 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.