CCTV Frequently asked Questions

What is CCTV?

Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras are cameras used for a variety of purposes and are an effective way of reducing crime and protecting public safety.


What is a CCTV request?

A Closed Circuit Television Request (CCTV) is a request for information relating to CCTV images that a public authority holds.

The Council adheres to the ICO's CCTV Code of Practice . We also have strict internal controls in place to ensure that only authorised individuals can view and handle footage.


How do I ask for information?

The police, insurance companies and individuals can request footage. If you would like to request CCTV footage that shows you, you can do this by submitting a CCTV request. Please note that footage is only kept for a certain time period, typically between 14 and 30 days depending on the scheme and other individuals will be pixellated out of the footage to protect their identity. You may wish to contact us before submitting your request to discuss your requirements and to check the retention period for the scheme in question.
You must put your request in writing:

  • Complete our subject access request form online
  • By email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • In writing to the Performance Team, Bolsover District Council, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, Derbyshire S43 4JY.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Your contact details including name and address)
  • A description of the data you require including the date and time range for the footage to enable us to search for the image2 forms of ID (passport/driving licence/utility bill) to identify who you are. One of these needs to contain a photograph for image recognition purposes.

We ask for this information as we need to be sure that you are who you say you are before releasing any personal data to you.  Once we are in receipt of a verified request we will send you an acknowledgement including the timescales for a reply.


Do I have to pay for the data?

No. We will normally provide a copy of the data free of charge. However, we can charge a ‘reasonable fee’ when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive. We may also charge a reasonable fee to comply with requests for further copies of the same data. Any fee will be based on the administrative cost of providing the data.


How long will it take to receive the data?

We will respond to your request without delay and at the latest within one month of receipt.


What can I do if I’m not satisfied with the response?

Firstly, contact the Performance Team and ask for an internal review if you are unhappy with the way your request was handled. . We will deal with your internal review under our Corporate Compliments, Comments and Complaints policy.

If you are still dissatisfied after an internal review has been conducted you can escalate your request to the Information Commissioners Office: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF. Telephone: 0303 123 1113.


Where can I find out more information on CCTV?

For more information please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website or see our information booklet.


 01246 242424
 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.