Council Tax and Business Rates are payable in monthly instalments which are shown on your bill. There are a variety of ways to pay your bill, the simplest is to use our online method, found in the 'Pay it' button above. You can also pay via the below methods, and all the relevant contact details are on the contacts box on this page:
- Direct Debit - You can set up a Direct Debit by either telephoning us on 01246 242440 or by requesting a council tax Direct Debit form. You can choose to pay on 1st, 7th, 15th, 21st or 28th of each month.
- Telephone - You can pay through your own bank's telephone/on-line services
- Pay online - You can make payments on our website through our secure payments page.
- In Person - You can pay by cash or debit card at the kiosks at any of our Contact Centres in Bolsover, Clowne, Shirebrook or South Normanton
- Debit Card - You can pay by Debit Card over the telephone. Please ring 0300 4560503 and follow the step-by-step instructions. You can ring at any time, the service is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
If you have any query about paying your bill, please contact the Revenues Team using the contact details opposite.
** Information about declined payments
We are seeing an increase in the number of payments being declined. This is often due to the time taken to undertake additional security features the payment card providers are introducing to try and reduce fraudulent payments and protect customers from fraud. Please note that the council does not have access to any information telling us why your payment was declined.
What to do if you payment is declined?
Please contact your card issuer (which may be your bank or credit card provider) and ask them why the payment was declined. The will probably ask you a date and time you tried to make the payment and how much you were trying to pay. If you don’t get a satisfactory answer as to why your payment was declined asking the following questions may help:
- Does my card have an upper limit on the amount I can pay for an online transaction?
- Do you try and contact me if the amount I am trying to pay online is above a certain amount?
- How are you trying to contact me – do you have my correct contact details?
- Was the payment declined because I didn’t have enough money in my account?
Your card issuer should try and help you so you don’t have future payments declined. Alternate payment options (ATP 0300 4560503 Tel 01246 242424)
Online payment verification
Your bank or credit card company many request additional verification to make sure that your payment is authorised, find out more here: