Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax Reduction) is a type of financial assistance that can help people who are on a low income, or are claiming certain benefits, to pay their Council Tax bill. The amount of Council Tax Support you qualify for will depend on various factors, including:

  • Which benefits you receive
  • Your age
  • Your income
  • Your savings
  • Who you live with
  • How much Council Tax you are liable to pay

Each Local Authority sets its own Council Tax Support regulations 2021-2022 scheme.

Any working age person, claiming Council Tax Support and living within Bolsover District will have a minimum of 8.5% to contribute towards their Council Tax bill. Unless they are in receipt of a war pension.

Pension Age claimants and working age claimants in receipt of a war pension, can claim up to 100% assistance towards their Council Tax liability.

For further guidance on whether you meet the criteria for ‘pension age’, please refer to Citizen’s Advice.

You can claim Council Tax Support regardless of whether you own your own home or rent it and whether you are working or unemployed. To make a claim, please visit our Self Service portal.

Change in Circumstances

If you are in receipt of Council Tax Support you must notify our Benefits Section in writing, within 21 days, of any change that may affect your entitlement. Some examples of changes include:

  • increases in your or your partner's income/savings,
  • if someone leaves or joins your household.

You may lose entitlement if you do not tell us within these timeframes. If you receive more Council Tax Support because you did not tell us about any changes straightaway, you will receive a revised Council Tax bill with increased payments.


 01246 242440
 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.