We deliver a clinical waste collection service to both domestic and commercial properties in the District only after assessment by your G.P or Health Care Professional. Domestic collections will be arranged only if the conditions of the NHS assessment are met.
Commercial collections are charged at a rate of £6.36 a bag per week, £165.36 over 6 months or £330.72 over 12 months.
Clinical waste is categorised as follows:
- Soft Infectious Waste - Yellow bag (incineration only) A special collection is required to dispose of this waste and must not be placed in the black bin. Infectious waste should not be disposed of in the black residual waste wheelie bin.
- Infectious Sharps Waste - This waste should be placed in the yellow 'Sharpsguard' sharps container. If you are to able to visit your surgery, or have relatives or representatives who can visit the surgery for you, the full sharps box should be taken to your surgery for disposal. When no other disposal route is available the council will make a collection of your 1 litre box when the patient has five full sharps boxes.
- Offensive/Hygiene Waste - Non-infectious offensive/hygiene waste, including incontinence waste, empty stoma and catheter bags. This waste can be disposed of in the black residual waste wheelie bin.
Christmas/New Year Collections 2021/22
Please be aware that there will be no medical waste collections made during the Christmas Period - 27 December 2021 – 3rd January 2022. Collections will restart from Tuesday 4 January 2022. Please see below for your revised medical waste collections for Christmas and New Year:
- Monday 27 December will be collected on Tuesday 4 January
- Tuesday 28 December will be collected onWednesday 5 January
- Wednesday 29 December will be collected onThursday 6 January
- Thursday 30t December will be collected on Friday 7 January
- Friday 31 December will be collected on Saturday 8 January