A non-dependant generally is a grown up Son or Daughter, Friend or Relative that lives within your household.

If you have a non-dependant adult, living in your household, your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support could be subject to a non-dependant deduction, dependent upon their income, age, and your disability status. This is because it is assumed that the non-dependant will contribute towards your rent, rates and/or Council Tax.

There will be no non-dependant deduction where the claimant is:

  • registered blind or has recently regained their sight
  • receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) - at any rate
  • receives Attendance Allowance - at any rate

When a deduction is made:
One non-dependant deduction will be applied per non-dependant (or non-dependant couple) in your household. For non-dependants in renumerative work the level of deduction is based on their Gross earnings rather than their NET earnings. The lowest deduction will be applied for any non-dependant NOT in work, regardless of their income from state benefits or private pensions.

Non-dependants with no deduction:

  • A non-dependant aged under 18
  • A non-dependant in receipt of Pension Credits (either kind)
  • A non-dependant aged under 25 receiving a passported benefit (excluding 'main phase' ESA)
  • A Youth Trainee
  • A non-dependant in prison or similar detention
  • A non-dependant who has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more
  • A temporary resident or visitor
  • A full time student (during a period of study)
  • A full time student (during a vacation period providing they are not in remunerative work during this period of time)

For any non-dependant in work a deduction will be applied to your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support dependent upon the level of their Gross income.

Regeneration contacts

  • Tel: 01246 242424
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top