Universal Credit is a new benefit that has been introduced by the government and is currently being rolled out across the country. It replaces six means tested benefits and is designed to help people who are unemployed or on a low income. These are referred to as ‘legacy’ Benefits. It affects people of working age. The means tested Benefits that Universal Credit has replaced are as follows:


  • Housing Benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Related)
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

From the 21st November 2018 all properties within the Bolsover District Council area now fall under ‘Full Service’ Universal Credit legislation. This means that you are no longer able to submit a NEW claim for Housing Benefit unless you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You are of Pension Age
  • You already receive a Severe Disablement Premium within an existing ‘legacy’ Benefit
  • You are residing in Supported Accommodation

If you are needing assistance towards paying you Housing Costs, and none of the above criteria applies to your circumstances, you should now instead claim for Universal Credit. You can apply for Universal Credit here.

If you are currently claiming universal credit, or think this may affect you in the future, then you need to start preparing for the full service rollout. Universal Credit is a fully digital service - this means that you have to claim online and your claim thereafter is managed online. As a part of your Universal Credit claim you must have access to an email account as you will receive all of your claim correspondence through email.
You will need to have a transactional bank account / Building Society account / Credit Union account to receive your Universal Credit payments. Your Universal Credit will be paid monthly in arrears; this means you will need to start to plan to budget monthly.
Further information regarding Universal Credit is also available on the Governments website

Council Tax Support

Whether you claim Universal Credit, or Housing Benefit, you will still need to apply for Council Tax Support directly with Bolsover District Council.
More information on Council Tax Support, and the claims process, can be found under the Council Tax Support drop down on this webpage.





Regeneration contacts

  • Tel: 01246 242424
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top