Licensing and permits

  • Alcohol and Entertainment Open or Close

    If your business provides any licensable activities - sell alcohol, hot food and drink, or provide certain types of public entertainment - you will need a licence from us. A public register is currently being compiled which will give details of all licences and certificates granted under the Licensing Act 2003.

    A licensable activity can be:

    • the sale of alcohol
    • the supply of alcohol at a club
    • the provision of regulated entertainment eg live or recorded music, dancing, indoor sporting event
    • the provision of facilities to allow regulated entertainment to take place
    • the provision of late night refreshment between 11 pm and 5 am.

    There are four types of licences which you can apply for:

    • If you sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, you should apply for a Premises Licence
    • If you are a club that supplies alcohol, regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, apply for a Club Premises Certificate
    • If you supply or authorise the sale of alcohol, (other than in premises having a Club Premises Certificate) then you will need to apply for a Personal Licence
    • If you are organising a small scale (less than 500 people) event and intend to sell alcohol/refreshments or provide regulated entertainment, then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).


    Statement of Licensing Policy

    The Council has recently reviewed its statement of licensing policy and the revised policy will come into effect from the 1 February 2019.

    The Statement of Licensing Policy can be found here.

    Responsible Authorities

    Responsible Authorities have an important role to play within the Licensing regime, not only can they make representations in respect of licence applications, but they can also ask the Licensing Authority to review premises licences.

    You must give a copy of any application form and a copy of the accompanying documents to the responsible authorities on the same day that the application form is given to the council. If you submit your application to the Licensing Authority electronically, then we will, in accordance with the legislation, send copies to the responsible authorities.

    Contact details for the responsible authorities can be found here.’


    Licensing Reviews
    The operators of licensed premises are required to actively promote the four licensing objectives:

    1. Prevention of crime and disorder
    2. Prevention of public nuisance
    3. Public safety
    4. Protection of children from harm

    Any interested party or responsible authority may call for the review of a premises licence if they believe that the licensing objectives are not being promoted.

    Calling for a Review
    Application for a review must be made on the Licensing Review (115kb) application form and submitted to us at Licensing Team, Bolsover District Council, 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield , Derbyshire S42 6NG. Copies must also be sent on the same day to the premises licence holder and to each of the responsible authorities. Failure to send these copies may render the application as invalid.


    Application forms and further guidance

    You can find out more information about the Licensing Act, licence fees, download application forms or apply for a licence on line here


  • Animal Open or Close

     From the 1st October 2018, The Animal Welfare (licensing of Activities Involving animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into effect.

    A copy of the legislation can be found below

    Licences for the following activities will be needed when carried out as a business with the exception of breeding. All activities will be assessed as to whether they need a licence. If you are unsure if you need a licence please contact Environmental Health. If you are trading illegally and then apply for a licence then this may impact on the consideration of your application.

    • Selling Animals as Pets
    • Providing or Arranging for the Provision of Boarding of Cats or Dogs Which includes:-
    • Cat boarding
    • Kennel Boarding for Dogs
    • Home Boarding for Dogs
    • Day Care Boarding for Dogs
    • Hiring Out Horses For Riding or Instruction in Riding
    • Breeding Dogs
    • Keeping or Training Animals For Exhibition

    If you have a licence

    If you have an existing valid licence, you don’t need to renew it until it expires. The application process does take 10 weeks so if you do not want a break in your licence term then you must apply at least 10 weeks prior to your current licence expiring.

    If you have a dog boarding licence and also look after dogs in the day, you will need to obtain a licence for this activity too if the operation is different to the home boarding operation. I suggest you talk to your Officer.

    If you have a performing animals licence, you’ll have to apply for one by 1st April 2019, even if your old one hasn’t expired by that date.

    If you don’t have a licence or you need a new one

    Application forms are available at the following locations and are activity specific. Each application form has an accompanying guidance document you will need to download and read and also the appropriate fees that need to accompany the application are also available.



    The licence holder must be a named person who is not disqualified from holding a licence in accordance with the requirements of regulation 11 of the regulations. A person cannot apply for a licence if they have previously had a licence revoked under the Regulations or is disqualified from keeping an animal under any other legislation.


    Application Forms and Fees

    The following documents are application forms which are activity specific, and appropriate fees. Please note home boarding licences and day care licences are to be submitted on the animal boarding application. Licences for home boarding and day care cannot be run at the same premises.

    Animal boarding form Breeding and sale of dogs
    Dangerous wild animals Hiring out horses
    Licensing of activities and fees involving animals Performing animals
    Pet vending

    Fees and charges for licensing of activities involving animals


    Guidance Documents

    Guidance documents specific to each activity can be found at the links below.

    For a copy of the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 and associated guidance documents for the relevant licensable Activities please see the table below.

    Animal Welfare Regulations 2018 Animal Welfare Act 2006
    Procedural Guidance for Animal Activity Licensing 2018 Change log to guidance
    Guidance notes for Breeding Dogs 2018 Guidance notes for Boarding Dogs in Kennels 2018
    Guidance notes for Home Boarding Dogs 2018 Guidance notes for Dog Day Care 2018
    Guidance notes for Boarding Cats 2018 Guidance notes for Selling Animals as Pets 2018
    Guidance notes for Exhibition of Animals 2018 Guidance notes for Hiring out Horses 2018


    Animal Licensing Policy and Guidance

    The Animal Licensing Policy and Guidance document can be found here



    Public registers for animal licences 

    Animal boarding list Animal breeding list
    DWA list Pet shops
    Riding establishments list Performing animals list
  • Applications, Reviews and Variations Open or Close

    As part of the Licensing Act 2003, we advertise applications for premises licenses, club premises certificates, variations and requests for reviews.

    All applications are advertised for a period of 28 days, beginning the day after we have received the application. The exception to this is minor variations which are only advertised for 10 days. All current advertisements are displayed below.

    • Application Reference:20/00704/LAPL01
      Application Type:Premises Licence (Sale By Retail Of Alcohol)
      Premises Address:Willow Tree Family Farm, Willow Tree Family Farm, Langwith Road, Shirebrook, Mansfield,NG20 8TF.
      Applicant:The Trustees Of Willow Tree Family Farm
    • Application No: 20/00273/FUL
      Application Type: Full Planning Permission
      Proposal: Erection of detached retail unit for ancillary garden centre use
      Location: WM Morrisons Supermarket PLC Oxcroft Lane Bolsover

    • Sanctuary Relaxation Ltd, Anchor Inn, Market Place, Bolsover, Chesterfield,S44 6PN - Full variation to premises licence for the refurbishment of premises and new plan provided to include outdoor space for licensable activities
    • McDonalds Restaurants Limited, McDonalds Restaurant Ltd, Berristow Lane, South Normanton, Alfreton,DE55 2EG - Minor Variation to Premises Licence which is to amend the floor plan/seating lay out to
      the restaurant.





  • Business and Street Trading Open or Close

    A charitable collection must not be held in any street or public place in Bolsover District without a street collection permit issued by us. Applications (264kb) should be made at least one month before the proposed date of the collection. The collection is subject to regulations relating to such matters as the minimum age of collectors and the safeguarding and auditing of proceeds.

    Any person wishing to make an appeal to members of the public by means of a collection for charitable purposes, by way of house to house visits (including places of business, such as public houses) requires a licence (197kb) issued by us.

    Certain charities holding Home Office Exemption Orders do not need a licence but must notify us of the collection dates and the specific areas to be covered by the collection.

    All collectors must wear a badge which is obtained from The Stationary Office.  The Stationary Office can be contacted by telephone on 0870 6005522 or their address is: TSO Ltd, Post Cash Department, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GM

    Following the charitable collection the organiser must submit a return (26kb) to us that details the amount collected and all expenses incurred.  This return must be submitted wihin 3 months of the end of the collection. There is no charge for the notification.

  • Food Open or Close

    If you are planning to start a food business, you must register your premises at least 28 days before opening. This applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home, and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans. If you use two or more premises you will need to register all of them using our Food Registration Form (89kb).

    If food premises are to be used by several catering businesses (for example a village hall or conference centre) the person who allows the premises to be used for this purpose is responsible for registering them. All food businesses are required to have a documented food safety management system based on the principles of HACCP.  Although this may sound onerous a small catering business can get a free guidance pack called Safer Food and Better Business from the Food Standards Agency.

    If you have a mobile catering vehicle our Mobile Catering Guide (220kb) will help to provide you with the legal requirement you must comply with and also details advice and good practice measures.

    In partnership with the Food Standards Agency, we launched the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme in April 2011, where a food hygiene rating for a food premises is established following an inspection and taking into account observations and discussions made during the visit.

    Do you have a food hygiene rating of 3 or more?

    If so you may be eligible to join the “Heart of Derbyshire” scheme. This is a scheme which is operated by Derbyshire County Council together with Bolsover District Council that rewards you for offering your customers ‘healthier’ food.

    For information about the scheme please visit the Heart of Derbyshire section of the Derbyshire County Council website or telephone 01629 536166.

  • Gambling Open or Close

    The Gambling Bill modernises the law on gambling and provides for a unified regulator for gambling, the Gambling Commission. It introduces three licensing objectives which underpin the functions of the Commission and the Council.

     The Gambling Act 2005 requires each local authority to publish a Statement of Licensing Principles outlining how the authority will deal with applications. The current statement of principles for gambling licensing came into effect on 31 January 2019. It is valid for three years. We've also published our Gambling Fees which come into force on 1 October 2019.

    As part of the Statement of Licensing Policy the Council has also created a Local Area Profile, which will be regularly updated.

     There are three types of licence:

    1. An Operator Licence, concerned with the management and conduct of gambling, issued and regulated by the Commission
    2. A Personal Licence, for persons with key operational functions connected with the gambling business, issued and regulated by the Commission
    3. A Premises Licence, for the property where the gambling takes place, issued and regulated by the Council.

    The Act also regulates amusement with prizes machines and lotteries. Information on current applications or licensed premises and conditions is available by searching the online public register.

    Further information, is available from the Gambling Commission websites.

  • Licence Register Search Open or Close

    Our electronic register is not available at the moment, should you require information please contact the Environmental Health Service on 01246 217873 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Market Stall Licence Open or Close

    If you require a market stall licence please contact your relevent town council in the district to apply. The parish councils can be contacted here: 

    Clowne Parish Council

    Old Bolsover Town Council

    Shirebrook Town Council

    South Normanton Town Council

  • Pavements and Premises Open or Close

    The proposed Business and Planning Bill has now passed thorough the houses of Parliament and may have an impact on your business until the end of September 2021.
    There are two key areas that we would like to take this opportunity to make you aware of:

    Premises Licence - Off Sales

    If your premises licence authorises on-sales on the day on which the Act comes into force then until the 30 September 2021 your authorisation will automatically be amended to allow you to also provide off-sales.

    In addition, any conditions attached to your authorisation which may affect off sales, such as ‘off sales only being permitted in sealed containers’ will be suspended for the duration of the specified period. The only exception in respect of off-sales will be if your licence has been granted, varied or reviewed in the last three years and off-sales were refused or restrictions added to your licence to prevent off-sales.
    Should the Licensing Authority or Police have concerns about off-sales from a premises then they may instigate an ‘off-sales review’ which may result in the permission for off-sales being removed from your licence.

    Additional information and guidance can be found on the Government website. Please note: this change does not apply to premises that operate under a Club Premises Certificate.

    Pavement Licences

    Pavement Licences allow the licence-holder to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to their premises. You do not need a pavement licence to places tables and chairs on your own premises e.g. in car parks, garden areas etc.

    Premises which are used for either of the following may apply for a pavement licence:

    • a public house, wine bar or other drinking establishment; or
    • for the sale of food or drink for consumption on or off the premises.

    To apply for a pavement licence you will be required to register for an account with us via the Council’s website and we will only accept applications via our self-service portal. All Pavement Licences must comply with these standard conditions. If you don’t comply with these conditions we can take action to remove furniture from the highway and/or revoke your Pavement Licence.

    Before you apply, you should read the guidance which can be found on the Government website. You will need to ensure you have the following ready to upload:

    • A copy of your public liability insurance documents showing how you are covered for this activity on the pavement.
    • An image showing your public notice you have placed on the pavement in a visible, and obvious location, showing the area you have placed it in.
    • A detailed image or copy of the public notice you have placed.
    • A plan or set of plans fully showing the dimensions of the pavement and your furniture you intend to place on the pavement.
    • A document showing that any gas appliances you intend to place are safe (either a new conformance certificate, or a periodic gas safety inspection certificate).
    • Images or brochure images of furniture and any barriers you intend to place on the pavement.
    • Details of the fire retardant qualities of any fabrics you intend to place on the pavement (soft furnishings and coverings, awning/canopy/umbrella materials).

    You will not be able to apply for a licence without confirming that you have these (if applicable). If you make a false statement in your application, it will be refused. All licences we grant will normally be valid until 30th September 2021, unless the legislation is amended or revoked within that period, or where there are future restrictions on the use of the highway which we are notified of by the Highways Authority.

    It will be your responsibility to ensure that all the information required is provided, and any documents to supply are clearly readable. If there is any missing information or the information is illegible, your application will be refused. You will be able to re-apply but the issuing of your licence will obviously be delayed.

    The Licence Holder will be responsible for compliance with any licence granted or deemed to be granted. Licences can be revoked for failing to comply with licence conditions, and costs can be recovered from you if the Council has to take steps to ensure compliance with the licence.

    Applications can only be made online through the online application form, which will become live after the law comes into effect. Before then you can register your interest for a licence which will help us gauge the level of interest. Emails or postal applications will not be considered. 

    All pavement licence applications are subject to public consultation and current applications can be found on the Public Access website. 

    Applicants should be aware that all details on their application and documents submitted will be shared with the above agencies to enable full consultation with statutory partners, and in the interests of ensuring effective administration of the licensing scheme. Redacted versions will be published for public consultation.

    Only one application can be made for each premises within the determination period.

    If you do not hear from us after 14 days starting with the day after you submitted an application, then your licence will have been automatically granted. You will be notified only if your licence application has not been approved.

    You will be required to ensure that your activity on the pavement is safe, protects public safety and that you and your customers do not cause a nuisance to neighbouring residents. Enforcement action under other legal powers is still possible even if you have a valid pavement licence and your premises licence may be at risk if your breach it’s conditions. Anything placed on the highway must be removed overnight and when the business is not operating.

  • Scrap Metal & Motor Salvage Open or Close


    The UK Government passed the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 with the intention of regulating scrap metal dealers, collectors and motor salvage operators. The Act replaced all of the existing legislation for motor salvage operators and scrap metal dealers. There are two types of scrap metal dealers licences. A site licence and a collectors licence.

    What type of licence do I need?

    Site licence

    A site licence authorises a licence holder to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer from specified sites within the local authority area. A site licence authorises the licence holder to trade in scrap metal across local authority borders but does not authorise the site to regularly engage in door to door collections within the local area.

    Collectors licence

    A collectors licence authorises a licence holder to engage in regular door to door collections within the local authority area. It does not authorise the licence holder to trade in other local authority areas. A collector’s licence will cover any person who is lawfully employed by the licence holder to collect in the local authority area. If a person is not employed by the licence holder and works on a self-employed basis they must obtain their own collector’s licence.


    If scrap metal is a by-product of your business you may be exempt from the need to be licensed, it will be necessary for you to prove the proportion of your business that consists of dealing in scrap metal.
    How do I apply for a licence?

    To apply for a licence you must complete a Scrap metal application form and return it to the licensing section with the relevant fee and any additional documents specified in the application.

    Before completing the Scrap metal application form please read the guidance attached to the back of the form.

    Site Licences - charge £230
    Collectors Licences - charge £215
    Additional Site - charge £100
    Variation - charge £150
    Renewal - charge £180
    Change of Details - charge £25
    Repalcement Licence - charge £25





  • Skin Piercing Open or Close

    If you wish to undertake any/all of the following: Tattooing; Piercing; Acupuncture or Electrolysis then the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part VIII requires registration to cover both the person and the premises. The applicant must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used for the above purposes comply fully with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

    The cost of registering a premises is £37.00. For an individual licence the cost is £23.50. It is illegal to conduct body piercing, tattooing, acupuncture or electrolysis until the registration has been formally approved.

    You can also download the Bylaws regarding Skin Piercing (64kb), Acupuncture (63kb) and Tattooing (64kb).

    Skin piercing application form

  • Taxis & Private Hire Open or Close

     We are responsible for granting licences to the proprietors, operators and drivers of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles.




    On the 21 July 2020 the Secretary of State for Transport issued new Statutory Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Standards to licensing authorities aimed at safeguarding children and vulnerable adults: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statutory-taxi-and-private-hire-vehicle-standards.

    The Council will shortly commence a review of its taxi licensing policies with a view to updating them to reflect the requirements of the new statutory guidance. Any review we undertake will include consultation with the public, the taxi trade and interested parties. Further information about this review will be issued in due course.



    If you are interested in obtaining a licence with this Council, you can find further information below:


    We have joined the ‘National Register of Refusals and Revocations’. This new register will allow licensing authorities to record details of where a taxi driver licence has been refused or revoked. It will allow our licensing team and other licensing authorities to check new applicants against the register. This should help to prevent people found not to be fit and proper in one area from securing a licence somewhere else through deception and non-disclosure. Any driver who has their licence refused or revoked by the Ccouncil will have their details recorded on the register. Any details placed on the register will be held for a period of 25 years before being deleted.


    Hackney Carriages may be the traditional London Cab style or may be normal saloon vehicles distinguishable by the fact that these vehicles have a white bonnet and boot/tailgate and will display a roof sign and display a blue and white plate on the rear of the vehicle.

    Private Hire vehicles are usually 'saloon type' vehicles and include mini buses with up to and including eight passenger seats and display a red and white plate on the rear of the vehicle. Both types of vehicle display a small window sticker of the relevant colour in the windscreen showing the licence details.

    The basic difference between the two vehicles is that Hackney Carriages can be "flagged down" on the street or at a rank within the District where it is licensed and Private Hire Vehicles must be pre-booked through a Private Hire Operator. If a Private Hire Driver accepts a fare off the street without it being pre-booked, they are liable to prosecution. It is also important to note that anyone taking a journey in a Private Hire Vehicle which has been "flagged down" may not be insured for the journey.

    • Vehicle Licences - All vehicles that are to be used as Private Hire Vehicles or a Hackney Carriage must be licensed by the local authority. We must be satisfied that the vehicle is roadworthy, has a valid MOT certificate (if applicable) and is insured for the appropriate use. You will also be required to provide evidence that you own the vehicle (vehicle registration document / logbook) or proof of purchase if the vehicle is newly acquired. Licences are granted for a period of six-months and your vehicle will need to be tested each time you apply.   Apply online at Licence Application - Vehicle
    • PLEASE NOTE: From the 1st January 2019 all new vehicle licences will contain a condition requiring the vehicle to display operator signage to the front doors of the licensed vehicle. The new licence condition will read: All private hire vehicles* and hackney carriages (undertaking pre-booked private hire work), shall at all times display a sign with the name of the private hire operator they are working for on the front doors of the vehicle. The sign may also include the telephone number or other contact details of the operator. The sign shall be a minimum of 15 inches (375mm) wide X 10 inches (250mm) high and the background and wording of the sign shall be of contrasting colours so as to enable the sign to be easily read. *excluding any vehicle issued with a valid plate exemption certificate by the Council.
    • Driver Licences – Anyone who drives a Private Hire Vehicle or a Hackney Carriage must be licensed by the same local authority that licenses the vehicle.  We must be satisfied that the driver is ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence. All drivers are required to complete a theory test (including local knowledge; basic maths and English; Highway Code; and legislation and conditions of licence), medical, practical driving test, safeguarding course and DBS criminal record & right to work in the UK checks. Driver licenses normally last for three years. Apply online at Licence Application - Driver
    • Private Hire Operator Licences- Anyone wishing to take bookings for private hire vehicles must be licensed by the same local authority that licenses the vehicle they intend to operate. We must be satisfied that the driver is ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence. All operators are required to complete a safeguarding course plus DBS criminal record & right to work in the UK checks.  Apply online at Licence Application - Operator

     Applications for driver, vehicle and operator licences must be made on the appropriate form and be accompanied by the relevant fee and accompanying documentation. For further information or to obtain an application form please contact the Licensing Section by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  or calling 01246 217873.

     In September 2018 the local authority approved a revised Taxi Licensing Policy which is divided into five sections for ease of reference. The five sections are:


    During October 2018 we wrote to all our licence holders to advise them of the key Policy changes and a copy of the letter can be found  here.

    One key change to the new policy is the introduction of a new vehicle condition which will be added to all new private hire vehicle and hackney carriage licences. This will require the vehicle to have a basic inspection each day prior to use and the findings of the inspection will need to be recorded. To assist the trade we have produced a Daily Inspection Book which can be downloaded here.

    From the 1 January 2019 we introduced revised taxi licence fees and the revised fees can be found here.  

  • Temporary Road Closure Open or Close

    A Temporary Road Closure Order is needed for any event which may stop the flow of traffic on the public highway within the Bolsover District, for example, Galas, Parades, Christmas Markets, Fun Runs, etc. The orders are made by us following consultation with Derbyshire County Council and the relevant emergency services.

    Applications need to be submitted at least three calendar months before the date of the event and accompanied by a detailed plan showing the length of roads to be closed and the diversion route. An application can be made using the Temporary Road Closure application form, there are also conditions outlined by Derbyshire County Council that need to be adhered to.

    Please submit your application direct to:

    Rebecca Rowley, Legal Support Officer

    Telephone: 01246 242428

    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    You can keep up to date with the latest planned and active road closures across Derbyshire.

  • TV Licence Open or Close

    We understand that paying for those extra bills can become a burden for the elderly within our community, that’s why we provide a contribution towards the cost of a television licence for pensioners subject to certain conditions. The contribution is made per licence. Therefore only one contribution per household can be made each year.

    You must meet the following 3 criteria:

    1. Be at least 60 years old at the time of purchasing the TV licence.
    2. Have an income of no more than £299.39 per week (from 1 April 2019). In the case of a couple, this is a joint income level. For this purpose income includes, all income received except any disability pensions or allowances which are ignored.
    3. Must reside within Bolsover District and must be a householder (either owner/occupier or tenant) or be living in a separate part of the premises for which a separate licence is required.

    The contribution is restricted to £12, irrespective of whether you have a black and white or colour television licence. You will receive a cheque for £12.00 to your home address within 10 working days. Your TV licence will be returned to you at the same time. 

    Please apply for your contributuion using our TV Licence application form (40kb).

Licensing & Permits contacts

  • Tel: 01246 217877
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top