English Czech French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish

Data Protection

The Data Protection Act 1998 sets out rules for processing personal information and applies to some paper records as well as to those held on computers. The Data Protection Act works in two ways. It gives you certain rights. It also says those who record and use personal information must be open about how the information is used and must follow the eight principles of 'good information handling'. These say that data must be:

  1. fairly and lawfully processed
  2. processed for limited purposes
  3. adequate, relevant and not excessive
  4. accurate
  5. not kept for longer than is necessary
  6. processed in line with your rights
  7. secure
  8. not transferred to countries without adequate protection.

By law, we must keep to these principles.

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives individuals who are the subject of personal data ("data subjects") a general right of access to the personal data which relates to them. These rights, known as "subject access rights" are contained in sections seven, eight and nine of the Act.

Individuals can make requests to us and any other organisation ("data controllers") that hold information about them. Such access to records and other information about those records is known as a "subject access request". Personal data may take the form of computerised records or in some cases, paper records.

How do I ask for information?
You will need to put your request in writing to the Customer Service and Improvement Department, Bolsover District Council, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, Derbyshire S43 4JY or download our Data Subject Access Request Form (1.11MB). We need to be sure that you are who you say you are, so you should include your full name and address, two forms of identification, such as a utility bill, driving licence or passport, etc and any reference number that will help us. You can also refer to our customer's guide to requesting information from the Council (253kb). We will let you know that we have received your request and that it is being dealt with.

Do I have to pay for the information and how long will it take?
Yes. A £10 fee applies to all Data Protection requests. We have to respond to you within 40 calendar days of receiving your request, but will do our best to provide the information as quickly as possible.

What can I expect to receive?
We will send you details of the information we hold about you. There are certain circumstances where we may not be able to send you all of the information we hold about you. If this is the case, we will explain why we cannot meet your request.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with your response?
Contact us if you have any questions or concerns about your request, or if the information we send to you is wrong. When we send you the information you requested, or tell you why the information has been withheld, we will also let you know what to do if you are unhappy with the way the request was handled or if you want to appeal against the decision. This will include details of our own complaints procedure and contact details of the Information Commissioner's Office.

CCTV Images

Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras are used for a variety of purposes and are an effective way of reducing crime and protecting public safety. Within the district there are community based cameras with the centres of Clowne, Creswell, Shirebrook and South Normanton. The Council also uses CCTV at its main buildings.

The Council adheres to the ICO's CCTV Code of Practice. We also have strict internal controls in place to ensure that only authorised individuals can view and handle footage.

We have put together a guide to requesting CCTV images to provide potential requesters with information alongside a CCTV Subject Access Request form to use to make the request. Please note that footage is only kept for a prescribed time period typically between 14 to 28 days depending on the scheme. You may wish to contact us before submitting your request to check the retention period for the scheme in question.

National Fraud Initiative

We are required by law to protect the public funds we administer. We may share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for; auditing, or administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud.

The Cabinet Office is responsible for carrying out data matching exercises.

Data matching involves comparing computer records held by one body against other computer records held by the same or another body to see how far they match. This is usually personal information. Computerised data matching allows potentially fraudulent claims and payments to be identified. Where a match is found it may indicate that there is an inconsistency which requires further investigation. No assumption can be made as to whether there is fraud, error or other explanation until an investigation is carried out.

We participate in the Cabinet Office’s National Fraud Initiative: a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. We are required to provide particular sets of data to the Minister for the Cabinet Office for matching for each exercise, as detailed here.

The use of data by the Cabinet Office in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority under Part 6 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. It does not require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Data matching by the Cabinet Office is subject to a Code of Practice.

View further information on the Cabinet Office’s legal powers and the reasons why it matches particular information. For further information on data matching please telephone 01246 242424.

In particular, Texas Loans Online can cater to the needs of its residents. What makes Viagra Strips better than other forms of this medicine is its easiness of usage.

Data Protection contacts

 01246 242343

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Read it online

Data Subject Access Request

FOI Booklet

Requesting CCTV Images

CCTV Access Request Form

Latest Your Council Articles

Contact your councillor or MP

Enter your Postcode below:

This service is provided by writetothem.com

When is my bin collection?