English Czech French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish

Street Cleaning

We are responsible for the day-to-day cleansing requirements of the District and this includes the hand and mechanical sweeping of highways, pavements and public open spaces such as car parks and market squares to remove litter and detritus.

We are also responsible for the removal of weeds from footways, the removal of dog faeces from pavements and verges, the sweeping of autumn leaves to maintain safety and reduce the risk of flooding and the cleanliness of street furniture.

The main towns centres are cleaned daily and our villages are cleaned to a schedule, generally four times a year. If you see a propblem with street cleanliness or environmental issues such as graffiti or fly tipping in your community, then you can report this through the Love Clean Streets phone 'App'.

Dead Animals

Our Streetscene team will collect dead animals (average household dog size) from the roads and footpaths throughout the District. Smaller animals such as squirrels, rabbits, hedgehogs and birds will be removed as part of our normal street cleansing operations.

All livestock carcases must be disposed of at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) approved premises.

Dog & Litter Bins

We provide, maintain, empty and cleanse sufficient numbers of dog and litter bins throughout the District to enable you to dispose of your waste and litter.

The bins are post mounted and free standing which meet the needs of the local community, whilst causing the minimum impact on the surrounding environment. The frequency of emptying and cleansing differs depending on the location and usage of the bin. If you cannot find a dog bin close by when you need one, you can also put your dog waste into any of our litter bins as dog waste is classed as general litter.

If you see a bin that is overflowing, has been vandalised or you feel you need another dog or litter bin in your community then please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . We will use the following criteria in order to make a decision as to the need for additional bins:

  • Current provision of dog and litter bins within the general area
  • Land use type and designated cleansing zone
  • Number of requests received for the removal of dog fouling or litter within the immediate area
  • Number of complaints received regarding dog fouling or litter within the immediate area.

Dog Fouling

Please visit our main dog fouling page for more detailed information.

Drains & Sewers

Since October 2011, water companies in England and Wales are responsible for the maintenance and repair of shared sewer pipes. The change meant you are now only responsible for the drainage pipe which serves your own property. Sewer pipes which are shared by more than one property, or run beyond your property boundary, are your water authorities responsibility. The new rules will stop you being charged for costly repairs for issues that aren't your fault.

As well as the private drains serving a single home or business within the boundary of the property, there are a few other types of pipes that are not covered by the Regulations and will remain the responsibility of the current owners after 1 October 2011. These are:

  • Water supply pipes within your property boundary
  • Existing surface water sewers that drain directly to watercourses
  • Privately owned sewage treatment works and pipes connected to them
  • Privately owned septic tanks and cesspits (including all associated pipes even if serving more than one property)
  • Private pumping stations

If you have a problem related to the above you should contact Severn Trent Water or Yorkshire Water.

Blocked Drains


Private Properties

We will no longer attend to blockages in private drains.

Private customers should contact their Water Authority to determine if the blockage is in the public sewer or private drain, even if located within the boundary of their property. If the Water Authority determines that the problem is in the private drain then you will need to arrange and pay for a private contractor to attend. We will not recommend specific contractors, so we would advise you to look through the relevant business directories.

Council Owned Properties

As a responsible landlord, we will continue to deal with blockages in our properties and these should be reported to us immediately. If we suspect the blockage lies in a public sewer we will contact the Water Authority otherwise we will attend to the blockage ourselves.


We regularly monitor the District for any areas that have been affected by graffiti.

If anyone is caught defacing any property with graffiti they will automatically be given a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN), payable within 14 days. If this FPN is not paid, then the offender will be taken to court.

If you see any area that has been defaced by graffiti, then please contact us immediately and we will aim to remove it within 10 working days of it being reported to us. If the graffiti is racist, obscene or abusive we will aim to remove this within 24 hours of it being reported to us. More information is available in our Graffiti Policy (152kb).

Grass Cutting

A clean, green and safe environment is a top priority for us. We manage and maintain a number of the District's parks, recreation grounds, closed cemeteries and green open areas.

This can also be carried out in partnership with local Parish Councils and under agency arrangements with Derbyshire County Council.

We maintain, where they are under our ownership, the following areas:

  • children's playground facilities
  • recreation grounds and sports pitches
  • flower beds
  • shrub and rose gardens
  • closed churchyards
  • highway verges
  • trees.

We also advise Parish Councils, developers and the public on a wide range of environmental matters including landscape schemes for new developments, protection of trees, enhancement of wildlife and design guidance.

How often do you maintain these areas?

Different types of open space require different levels of maintenance, so the frequency varies according to the location.

In areas such as closed cemeteries, public open spaces, play areas and grass verges you can expect the grass to be cut on average every two weeks between March and October, dependent on weather conditions. On vacant open area sites we will cut the grass at least once a month from March to October, again dependent on weather conditions.

We seed, plant bulbs or bedding plants in planted areas as necessary and hoe them on a fortnightly basis from March to October. We also prune roses and shrubs and clear leaves from these planted areas when necessary.

How often do you maintain verges?

Road safety is our main concern and at places where visibility is important we cut accordingly. Verges are cut on average twice every month between March and October.

We are also aware of our responsibilities towards the more natural environment, so we cut in a way that allows animals and wild flowers to enjoy their natural habitat, while still making sure safety is a priority.

Can I get help with my garden?

If you are a Council tenant and are not physically capable of maintaining your own garden and have no family in the area you may be able to get assistance from us. Each case is determined on its own merits and you should contact us to arrange a visit.

Do you prune trees and cut hedges?

We undertake a programme of cutting, pruning and conservation to maintain our trees, hedges and other aspects of the natural landscape. We trim hedges bordering the highway at least once a year, as well as the hedges of infirm council tenants. Trees will be examined regularly and maintenance work carried out as necessary. Health and safety of the public is a priority and also that of the natural environment.

If the tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), or is in a conservation area you must contact us before you do any work. Applications for work on trees in conservation areas usually take up to six weeks of receiving the application. Applications for work on trees covered by a TPO will be dealt within eight weeks of receiving the application.

If you own the tree and it is on your property and you have checked that it is not covered by a TPO, then prior to undertaking any work we would advise that you seek advice from a qualified and insured arboriculturist or tree surgeon, details of whom can be found in business directories or via the internet.

Litter & Fly Tipping

Litter and fly tipping is a blight on our countryside - it is unsightly, unpleasant and dangerous to the public and animals. Always place your litter in a litter bin or take it home.

To report an issue with litter or fly tipping please use our new On-line services website.

Litter is anything that is dropped onto the ground in a public place and includes cigarette ends and chewing gum as well as sweet wrappers, drinks containers, paper, bags of rubbish etc. Dropping litter in a public place is an offence. Anyone dropping litter can be liable to an immediate fixed penalty notice (FPN) of £50 and if you fail to pay this within the statutory 14-days then you may be taken to court where the maximum fine can be £2,500.

Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste on public or private land. It is a crime that blights our communities, it's unsightly, can be hazardous and can lead to injuries both to the public and wildlife and is costly to remove.

In accordance with our Fly Tipping policy (233kb) we can take legal action against householders whose waste is tipped illegally (whether they know about it or not), which can end up with a fine of up to £50,000 and/or twelve months imprisonment for those found guilty of fly tipping.

To help us catch people who fly tip, every time we have an instance we will post a description and pictures of what has been dumped in our countryside and in your local community. If you recognise what has been dumped, be it the wall paper, tiling, the furniture etc, or you know who in the particular area has recently had work done that may have resulted in the fly tipping, then please contact us confidentially so we can catch the culprits.

Any information that is supplied to us, will be in the strictest of confidence.

Street Sweeping

We want to give you a clean, green and safe environment to enjoy. We are responsible for keeping adopted highways clean and litter free within the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act.

We operate a team of street sweeping vehicles which servive urban areas in the District on a cycical basis and other areas on a responsive basis.

How often do you clean the streets?

We aim to keep the environment as pleasant as possible and have a routine programme of cleaning which is supplemented by extra sweeping when necessary. We do not have the resources to clean every street at the same frequency, so our street cleaning programme reflects the usage of streets and areas.

For example, immediately after a market has closed, we sweep and litter pick the area and adjacent car parks. We use a variety of methods to keep our streets clean, such as mechanical 'Swingo' road sweepers, litter pickers and targeted cleansing schemes.

What about footpaths?

Obviously some areas are more prone to litter and debris than others such as town and village centres, so these are cleaned on a daily basis. In addition to our dedicated team of litter pickers, the mechanical 'Swingo' road sweepers are used to clean footpaths and road side areas as necessary.

If you are concerned about the condition of a footpath, road or street please contact us immediately and we will take the necessary action.


The Weeds Act 1959 allows the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs to take statutory action to control the spread of the following five injurious (harmful) weeds:

  • Common Ragwort (Senecio jacobaea)
  •  Spear Thistle (Cirsium vulgare)
  • Creeping or Field Thistle (Cirsium
  • Curled Dock (Rumex crispus)
  • Broad Leaved Dock (Rumex obtusifolius)

The Act does not make it illegal to allow the five weeds to grow and responsibility for weed control rests primarily with the occupier of the land on which the weeds are growing. However, DEFRA via Natural England may serve a notice on an occupier of any land on which the injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to take action to prevent the weeds from spreading.

Under Section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is an offence to plant or otherwise cause to grow in the wild specified plants. The most commonly found of these specified invasive, non-native plants include:

We have aslo produced some information (121kb) on weeds in general and who is resposnible for weeds growing on land.

unsecured personal loans . Female Cialis is prescribed to improve the quality of sexual life, to enhance the sensual reaction. It is also prescribedin case of frigidity and anorgasmia, decreased libido and hormonal changes that cause sexual dysfunction.

Street Cleaning contacts

 01246 242424

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Report it online

Abandoned Vehicles

Dog Fouling

Fly Tipping

General Enquiry


Untidy Garden

Read it online

Fly Tipping Policy

Graffiti Policy

Streetscene Policy 215

Latest Transport Articles

Contact your councillor or MP

Enter your Postcode below:

This service is provided by writetothem.com

When is my bin collection?