English Czech French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish

Voting and Elections

There are several types of elections that have an impact upon local government. These are Local government elections (parish, district, county); Parliamentary (General) elections and European Parliament elections

With any election you must be registered to vote.

2015 Parliamentary, District and Parish Elections

Notice of Casual Vacancy - Pinxton Parish (Pinxton Ward) 9KB

Notice of Casual Vacancy - Pinxton Parish (Broadmeadows Ward) 10KB

On Thursday 7th May 2015, elections were held to elect the Member of Parliament for the Bolsover Constituency and also for your local District and Parish Councillors. 

The results for the various elections have been declared and posted here.

The names of the candidates that had submitted valid nomination papers are available to view below along with details of the candidates' election agents. 


Question- In terms of personal expenses of the candidates, do these include the candidates mileage for campaigning mileage?  If so at what rate?  Should the HMRC rate of 45p be used?  This is in relation to both Parliamentary and Local candidates.

Answer -  The costs of petrol will be a personal expense if used for the candidate’s travel. We don’t offer a figure – candidates should make an honest assessment of what’s fair according to how much travelling they do and what they pay.

Question - In relation to uncontested Local elections, should the candidates submit a nil return?

Answer - All candidates need to provide a return even if it’s a nil one.


To make sure you are eligible to vote you must be registered on the electoral roll.  To check if you are registered, please contact the Elections Team on 01246 242424.  You are not automatically registered to vote because you pay Council Tax, you must have made a separate application to be included on the register. 


Electoral Commission Guidance for candiates (Local Elections)

District Council Elections

Parish Council Elections

Current elections

The current and forthcoming elections in Bolsover District are highlighted below: 

District Council Election - Bolsover North West Ward

An election was held on Thursday 8 January 2015 for the above ward. Labour candidate Susan Statter was elected. The results can be seen in the declaration of poll result (306kb). 

Old Bolsover Town Council Election - Bolsover North West Ward

An election was held on Thursday 8 January 2015 for the above ward. Independent candidate Chris Christopher was elected. The results can be seen in the declaration of poll result (15kb)

Parish Council Vacancy - South Normanton East Parish

As no request for an election was received in respect of the South Normanton East Parish Vacancy this was filled by co-option. Please contact the Clerk to South Normanton Parish Council for further information.

Vacancy for a Parish Councillor - Hodthorpe and Belph Parish Council

As no request for an election was received for the Hodthorpe and Belph Parish Council vacancy, this will be filled by co-option.  Please contact the Clerk to the Parish Council for further details.

Bolsover District Council and local Parish Councils
The next scheduled election is due to take place on Thursday 7th May 2015.

Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

The electoral registration system in Great Britain has changed from 10 June 2014. The new system is called Individual Electoral Registration (or IER).

1. What is individual electoral registration?
Previously, the head of household was responsible for registering everyone who lived at the address. From 10 June 2014, every individual will be responsible for their own voter registration. The new system also means that people will be able to register online.

2. Do I need to do anything?
Most people who are registered to vote in June 2014 will be registered automatically under the new system. They will not need to do anything and will continue to be registered to vote as usual. We will send a letter between July and August 2014 to let these people know that they are registered under the new system. We will write to people who are not automatically registered to let them know that they need to re-register and how to do it. If you move house, you will need to register at your new address.

3. What is different about the new system?
As well as individuals taking responsibility for their own registration, the other difference is that people need to provide a few more details about themselves to register. These are date of birth and national insurance number.

4. Why is the system changing?
Individual Electoral Registration gives you the right and responsibility to register yourself, instead of giving the responsibility to a head of household. It encourages people to take individual responsibility for their own vote.The change will also allow more convenient methods of registration, for example, online registration. Because the new system asks you for your national insurance number and date of birth before you are added to the register, the electoral register will be more secure and more resistant to threats of electoral fraud.

5. How can I find out more about IER?
Look out for national and local publicity campaigns from around mid July.  You can also find out more information at www.aboutmyvote.co.uk, www.electoralcommission.org.uk and  www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview. You can register on line at www.gov.uk/registertovote and will need to provide your National Insurance Number and date of birth.

Polling Districts and Places Review

To comply with the Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places (Parliamentary Elections) Regulations 2006 (as amended), every council in England and Wales must undertake a review (151kb) of all of the polling districts and polling places in its area by Monday 31 January 2015, with our review (151kb). Our review commenced on Monday 4 November 2013 and concluded on 2nd January 2014.  

Electors, councillors and organisations/individuals with a particular expertise or interest were invited to comment on the proposed arrangements.  The revised arrangements (35kb) which were agreed at Council on Thursday 16th January 2014 have now been published which took account of observations and comments received as part of the review.

A schedule of the current arrangements can be inspected here, along with the consultation document (216kb).  It can also be viewed at the Council Offices in Clowne or Contact Centres in Bolsover, Shirebrook and South Normanton.  Amendments to the schedule (17kb) made under Delegated Powers have now been published.

Maps showing the current ward boundaries.

Ault Hucknall (5.29MB) Barlborough (4.69MB) Blackwell (4.51MB)
Bolsover (4.93MB) Clowne (4.4MB) Elmton with Creswell (3.78MB)
Glapwell (2.69MB) Hodthorpe and Belph (3.73MB) Pinxton (4.69MB)
Pleasley (4.55MB) Scarcliffe (6.08MB) Shirebrook (4.63MB)
South Normanton (5.48MB) Tibshelf (5.14MB) Whitwell (3.91MB)



These maps are for viewing only as they contain data supplied by Ordnance Survey and are therefore protected by copyright law. Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions:

 i) You are granted a non-exclusive, royalty free, revocable licence solely to view the Licensed Data for non-commercial purposes for the period during which Bolsover District Council makes it available;

ii) You are not permitted to copy, sub-license, distribute, sell or otherwise make available the Licensed data to third parties in any form.

 By opening the .pdf maps you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.


Within this section you can get past elections results from:

South Normanton East Ward - August 2014

Candidate Name Political Party No. of votes
Cannon, Tracey Elizabeth Labour Party 293 (elected)
Sainsbury, Robert James Conservative Party 120

The results notice (287kb) is also available to download.

European Parlaimentary - May 2014

Please note that results for the 2014 EU Parliamentary Elections for the East Midlands Region are published on Kettering Borough Council's website.

 Whitwell Ward District Council Election - May 2013

Candidate Name Political Party No. of votes
Mills, Vivienne Patricia Whitwell Residents Association 347 (elected)
Raspin, Frank Philip Labour Party 256


Scarcliffe Parish Ward May 2012

Candidate Name Political Party No. of Votes
Clifton, Eveline The Labour Party 187 (elected)
Critchell, Rayond Keith   157


South Normanton East Parish Ward March 2012

Candidate Name Political Party No. of Votes
Barnes, Christopher Paul   141
Matthews, Ronald Sydney The Labour Party 170 (elected)


Old Bolsover West Parish Ward February 2012

Candidate Name Political Party No. of votes
Cooper, Patricia Anne The Labout Party 171
Haigh, Bernard Independent 264 (Elected)
Hall, James Eric The Labour Party 196
Rushby, Julie Martine The Labour Party 244 (Elected)
Tooth, Reginald John Independent 238 (Elected)
Walvin, Ronald Iain Independent 121


Shirebrook South West District Ward August 2011

Candidate Name Political Party No. of votes
Key, David The British National Party 43
Musgrove, Ian James The Green Party 103
Newholme, Frederick Robert The Conservative 76
Peake, Sandra The Labour Party 200 (Elected)


Bolsover District Council Election Results 2011

Below are the results counted and verified at present for the district council.

Bolsover District Parish Councils Election Results 2011

Below are the results counted and verified at present for the parish and town council's.

Standing As A Candidate

Prior to any election, prospective candidates must meet certain criteria before they are allowed to stand as a candidate.

Local election candidates

To qualify as a candidate for local elections you must:

  • Be a British or Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a citizen of the European Union.
  • Be 18 years of age or more on the date of nomination
  • Not be disqualified from holding office

Candidates also have to meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • They must be included on the electoral register and be a local government elector for the area on the date of nominations and thereafter.
  • They must have occupied, as owner or tenant, any land or other premises in the area during the twelve months prior to nominations.
  • Their principal or only place of work must have been in the area for the previous twelve months.
  • They must have resided in the area for the whole of the previous twelve months.
  • For parish elections, they must have resided in the area, or within three miles of the area for the whole of the previous twelve months.
A candidate for all local elections must complete a nomination paper in order to stand for election. The nomination paper has to be signed by the requisite number of electors who live within the electoral ward, parish or division and must be returned by the statutory deadline together with the candidate’s consent to nomination.
Although most candidates are nominated through a political party, individuals can stand for election in their own right. Candidates must submit a return of expenses detailing expenditure on items such as advertising, transport and attending public meetings.

Parliamentary and European Parliamentary candidates

To qualify as a candidate for UK Parliamentary elections you must:

  • Be a British or Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.
  • Be 18 years of age or more on the date of nomination
  • Not be disqualified from holding office
A candidate for a UK Parliamentary election must complete a nomination paper in order to stand for election. The nomination paper has to be signed by ten electors of the constituency.
Candidates also have to submit a deposit of £500 which will be refunded only if the candidate receives more than 5% of the total votes cast in the election.
The same qualifications apply for European Parliamentary elections as for a UK Parliamentary election with the addition that the candidate has to be a citizen of a country within the European Union.
There is no requirement for a nomination paper to be submitted for these elections but a £5000 deposit is required which is refunded only if the candidate receives more than 2.5% of the total votes cast for the electoral region.
Voting in European Parliamentary elections is based on proportional representation.  For all other elections it is a first past the post system. A person becomes a candidate at an election on the day on which they submit a valid nomination paper / their paper is declared valid. If a person makes it known in advance of the election that they are going to be a candidate, they will become a candidate on the last day for publication of the notice of election.


In order to vote in UK elections and referendums, you need to apply to have your name included on the electoral register. This is known as registering to vote. It is a legal requirement to register.

If you are not registered you will not be able to vote at any election. You are not automatically registered even if you pay Council Tax. You can register to vote if you are 16 years old or over, and a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen. If you are 16 or 17, you can register now but you are not allowed to vote until you are 18.

 Postal Vote
Anyone included in the Register of Electors may apply for a postal vote (16kb). If you know that you will not be able to vote in person, you should apply for a postal vote as soon as an election is announced.  Postal votes can be sent to an address outside the UK - for example if you are going on holiday - but please remember that it will take time to get there and for you to return it in time for the vote to be counted.

Postal ballot papers are normally sent out about a week before polling day, so if you will not be at home around that time you should consider appointing a proxy to vote on your behalf.

 Proxy Vote
You may still be able to vote even if you are unable to get to your polling station on election day by applying for a proxy vote (17kb). (A proxy is someone who votes on your behalf). For example:

  • If you will be away on holiday (in the UK or abroad)
  • If your work takes you away from home
  • If you are ill or in hospital

 If you want to appoint a proxy to vote for you, he or she must be:

  • Willing to vote on your behalf
  • A registered elector
  • A British citizen or citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland, or for local government and European Parliamentary elections, a citizen of the European Union
  • Old enough to vote and legally allowed to vote.

 Armed Forces Personnel
If you are a member of the Armed Forces and are registered as an elector, you will be entitled to vote in Parliamentary, Local and European Elections in the UK.

Service personnel and their spouses resident in the UK may register in either of two ways. They may be included as an ordinary elector by completing an individual registration application, or they may register as service voters.

In order to register as a service voter you will need to complete a service declaration (28kb) every 5 years, which will be the best option if you are likely to be posted overseas. If you are likely to be posted overseas, it is advisable to apply to vote by post or by proxy.

 Overseas Voters

If you are a British National living overseas you are entitled to vote in UK General Elections and European Parliamentary Elections for up to 15 years after you were last registered in the UK. Overseas electors cannot vote at local government elections. If you are in the armed forces or or crown personnel this does not apply to you and you will need to refer to our armed forces information.

In order to register as an overseas voter you will need to contact the electoral registration office at the local council covering the address for where you were last registered within the UK. If the last UK address you were registered at was in the Bolsover District you can register (87kb) with us or contact us at Elections Team, Bolsover District Council, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, Derbyshire, S43 4JY.

 If you have never been registered as an elector in the UK, you will not be eligible to register as an overseas voter. However, if you left the UK before you were 18 years of age you can register at your parents or guardians' address, provided that you left the UK no more than 15 years ago.

Overseas electors should also apply to vote by post or proxy. Postal votes are sent out approximately one week before polling day, so if you are not likely to be able to receive and return a postal vote in that time, you should consider appointing a proxy


Students who are away at university or college can remain registered at their family home and may also register at their student accommodation. It is however an offence to vote twice in the same election. Students may also wish to consider the option of a postal vote.

Many of the major credit firms check your address against the electoral register and you may be refused a loan, mobile phone agreement, mortgage, bank account, etc, if you are not registered. It is also your chance to have your say about how your local council or the government is run.

  Electoral Register
The Electoral Register contains the names and addresses of all those who have registered to vote within the Bolsover constituency.

Every August/September, a form is issued to each household in the district requesting the names of those residing in the house who are eligible to vote. Information on how to complete the Household Enquiry Form is included on the form.

Reminders are issued to households who have not responded and the revised Electoral Register is usually published on 1st December each year.

Two versions are prepared:

  1. The Full Register lists everybody who is eligible to vote, copies are available at our Contact Centres for public inspection in accordance with legal requirements. Inspection of the register is strictly under supervision and only written notes can be taken. You will not be permitted to photocopy or take images of any part of the register. It is not permissible for an electronic search to be carried out.
  2. The edited version leaves out names and addresses of people who have made a request to be excluded from this version of the register. The edited version can be bought by anyone for any purpose.

If you move house after the register is published on 1st December, you can apply to be registered in respect of your new address under the Rolling Registration procedures which takes approximately one month to take effect. You can register online at your new address at www.gov.uk/registertovote or alternatively contact us for a printed form. Once an election has been called and you find out that you are not currently registered you can apply to register up to 12 days before the election.

If you would like to search historic copies of Electoral Registers, for instance, if you are researching your family tree, these are held by the British Library.

Payday Advance Durant OkCash Advance North CarolinaViagra Cheap CanadaGoogleNews

Voting and Elections contacts

 01246 242422

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Read it online

Armed Forces Service Declaration

Being A Councillor Guide

Overseas Vote

Postal Vote

Proxy Vote

Latest Your Council Articles

Contact your councillor or MP

Enter your Postcode below:

This service is provided by writetothem.com

When is my bin collection?