English Czech French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish

Planning Applications

We assess applications from landowners and developers to erect new buildings, alter or extend buildings, change the use of land or buildings, or carry out other works or erect signs and advertising.

All development must comply with approved planning policies, unless there are specific material considerations which would indicate otherwise. Publicity is given to applications in accordance with our published procedures, and all representations received are considered and taken account of in the determination process.

When an application has been received by us, various checks will be carried out to ensure that all information required to process the application has been received. If further information is required, the application will be made invalid and further information will be requested from the applicant/agent, e.g. an additional fee or additional plans.

Once an application has been made valid it is assigned to a Planning Officer who will then carry out all the necessary checks and inspections. 

All parties can view all representations made online. Comments from neighbours will also be available although some private details including signatures, telephone numbers and email addresses are redacted and not available for viewing online. Please note that following a decision of the Information Commissioner, names and addresses will be revealed online.

You can track the progress of a planning application online - for further details go to the view planning applications page below.

Householder Enquiry Form

If you are proposing householder development e.g. the erection of extensions, garages, fences, etc, you can complete a householder enquiry form (282kb) and return it to us. This is currently a service we offer free of charge therefore response times cannot be guaranteed and standard planning applications will take priority.

Other Information on Planning Applications

Site Plans

Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan (also known as a block plan), to be submitted as supporting documents. You can Buy a Plan to support your application from the Planning Portal website.

Design and Access Statements

A Design and Access Statement (99kb) is now required to be submitted with most Planning Applications. Further guidance on design and access statements can be found via the planning portal.

Building Control

You may need approval under the Building Regulations as well as planning permission if you are proposing building works.
You should check with building control before starting any work.

Do I Need To Make An Application

The following provides information and guidance about when you will need to apply for planning permission or consent to undertake proposed development.

By far the majority of applications we deal with are for planning permission. Planning permission is required for new development and changes of use to existing development. 'Development' in a planning context means new buildings and alterations to existing buildings and structures, but also includes engineering operations such as excavations. It also includes some forms of demolition. Planning permission gives you approval to undertake proposed development as described in your application. It does not, however, override the need to obtain any other consents that may be necessary for your development to go ahead, nor does it imply that such consents will necessarily be forthcoming.

Internal alterations that do not materially affect the external appearance of your house and do not involve a change of use will not normally require planning permission.
However, the laws that govern when you need to apply for planning permission can be very complex and as such you are always advised to contact us prior to undertaking development to check whether planning permission is needed. If you are at all unsure about whether you need to apply for planning permission please contact us.

Permitted Development

Certain works of a minor nature can be carried out without needing to apply for planning permission. These works benefit from a 'blanket' national planning permission granted through the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995. The range of works that are permitted is subject to amendment over time and we would recommend seeking our advice if you believe that something you wish to do is 'permitted development', since the rules are highly complex.

Conditions Affecting Permitted Development Rights

Permitted development rights can be taken away by conditions imposed upon previous planning permissions. For example, in situations where it is important to keep car parking space available it is common for limitations to be imposed restricting the conversion of integral garages to additional living accommodation. These restrictions may apply to any property where planning permission has been granted at some point in the past. However, they tend to be more common on properties and housing estates built since the 1980s.

Article 4 Directions

More widespread limitations on permitted development rights can be imposed through Article 4 Directions. These directions commonly restrict particular types of permitted development within a specified area. There are several Article 4 directions in the District, generally within conservation areas. To find out if the works you intend to do are affected by an Article 4 Direction please contact Planning Services on 01246 242424.


It is not always possible to tell you over the phone if planning permission is not required particualrly as to give an accurate answer the history of the site must be researched. You are therefore advised to fill in one of our householder enquiry forms (282kb) from which we can tell you free of charge whether you need to apply for planning permission for the works you are proposing. If you are proposing to do work to your home we can write to you and tell you if you need planning permission. The form gives us all the information we need to be able to write to you and confirm whether or not permission is required.

Full details of the planning permission requirements for most common types of building work are available on the Planning Portal website. Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan (also known as a block plan), to be submitted as supporting documents. You can Buy a Plan to support your application on the Planning Portal website. Please be aware that the planning portal web pages can only give general advice and to ensure that you get a more accurate answer you should still contact the Council.

You can also view the Planning Portal's interactive house guide to find out what you may or may not need planning permission for.

Even if you know you do not need planning permission approval we would encourage you to complete the form. Many home owners find it useful to have the Council's written confirmation about the planning status of works they have had carried out, particularly when buying or selling a property.

Non Householder applications

General guidance and planning advice can be found on the planning portal and the Planning Practice Guidance. The government also has a document entitled a Plain English Guide to the Planning System.

The Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers will help you to find out if you need planning permission for advertisements. 

Important - if it appears that planning permission is not required you are advised to forward a rough, dimensioned, sketch of your proposal to us so that a double check can be made. Permitted development rights may have been removed on a previous planning application, meaning planning permission may still be required.

Be sure!
Before you undertake proposed development be sure that you do not need to apply for planning permission or obtain consent from us first. If you undertake development that needs planning permission without first obtaining it, it may result in problems for you later. Expensive alterations may need to be carried out in order to put things right and in certain cases you may even be forced to remove an unauthorised building.

Before submitting an application you are always advised to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to discuss the likelihood of acceptability of your proposal as negotiations beforehand could save time and money later.

Submit A Planning Application

Planning Applications can now be submitted online through the Planning Portal.

Submitting applications via the Planning Portal has many benefits including:

  • Easily able to select the correct form/s
  • Opportunity to save incomplete applications and come back to them at a later point
  • On-line tool allows you to calculate the correct fee
  • Ability to pay on-line directly to Bolsover District Council
  • Ability to submit electronic drawings with your application (or you can post paper drawings to us separately)
  • One, standard form that is used within all authorities in England
  • Step by step instructions and guidance on the Planning Application process
  • Environmentally friendly - No need for costly printing and posting of 4 copies of the application forms and documents
  • Checklist to make sure you have all the required information to make an application
  • When an application is submitted online it automatically populates the planning departments system, this speeds up the registration process and reduces the possibility of errors which could slow down the processing of your application.

Please choose one of the following options:

If the applicant is not the only owner, you will need to use a notice to tell the other owners that you are making a planning application:

Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan (also known as a block plan), to be submitted as supporting documents. You can also Buy a Plan to support your application from the Planning Portal website.

View Planning Applications

By clicking on the 'View Online' link at the bottom of this page you are agreeing to comply with the terms and conditions set out on this page.

Here is a link to guidance on how to view applications: Guidance

Ordnance Survey Copyright terms and conditions

The maps are for viewing only as they contain data supplied by Ordnance Survey and are therefore protected by copyright law. Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions:

  • “You are granted a non-exclusive, royalty free, revocable licence solely to view the Licensed Data for non-commercial purposes for the period during which Bolsover District Council makes it available;
  • you are not permitted to copy, sub-license, distribute, sell or otherwise make available the Licensed data to third parties in any form.
  • third party rights to enforce the terms of this licence shall be reserved to Ordnance Survey”

Commenting on Applications

You can submit comments by email or by letter (verbal representations are not reported). Any representations submitted may be disclosed to the applicant and will be available for public inspection, with copies made available if requested, in accordance with the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985.

The deadline for comments on each application is shown in the Important Dates section of the application search results; look for the Neighbour Consultation Expiry Date. Your comments should include your name, address, email address or phone number, as well as the application reference number. We will publish the name and address of who has made a representation, as we need to be transparent about who is involved in the process. We aim to blank out personal signatures; private telephone and email addresses. If we miss any of these please contact us and we will correct the matter as soon as possible. Please note that as a consequence of the decision of the Information Commissioner in the case of London Borough of Sutton (case ref.- FER0220492) we will continue to mask signatures, telephone numbers and email addresses but the name and address of the person or group submitting the comments will be revealed.

Please ensure that you only provide information, including personal information belonging to you that you are happy will be made available to others in this way. If you feel that any part of your response should be kept confidential you should attach a separate letter setting out which details you wish us to consider keeping confidential and why. Personal abuse will not be accepted and any racist or other discriminatory material will be rejected (and may be subject to legal action). If you supply information belonging to a third party please ensure you have their permission to do so.

If the case goes to appeal, your comments will be sent to the appellant and the Planning Inspectorate. The Inspectorate may publish details of your comments, on the Internet (on the Appeals area of the Planning Portal). In the case of householder applications, in the event of an appeal that proceeds by the expedited procedure, there will be no opportunity to make further representations but those received during the application process will be passed to the Secretary of State.

Maps and Planning Data

The datasets compiled and maintained by Bolsover District Council ("the Authority Datasets") are associated with the use of the National Land and Property Gazetteer and the National Street Gazetteer. Information displayed throughout Public Access is extracted from a copyright work owned by the Local Government Information House, Ordnance Survey and Bolsover District Council.

By using Bolsover District Council's Maps and Planning Data you are agreeing to the following:

You may:

  • Take a single screen print of the results of a search of the Authority Datasets for your own use.

You may not:

  • Reproduce, download, copy or save any maps or mapping data within the site. The Ordnance Survey map data included within this web-site is provided by Bolsover District Council under license from the Ordnance Survey; unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings.
  • Extract or re-utilise information derived from the Authority Datasets and/or any copies of such information, in any format, for any commercial or business purpose.
  • Modify, adapt, arrange, alter, adjust or make any additions to any information derived from the Authority Datasets, or combine such information with other mapping or data.
  • Reproduce, copy, download, store, record, broadcast, retransmit, distribute or disassemble any part of the website without prior written consent.

We take every reasonable effort to ensure that information contained on this website is as accurate as possible, However, the services featured on this website are provided "as is", and all warranties, conditions and other terms implied by statute or common law are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded. We shall not be liable to you for any loss or damage, costs, expenses or other claims for consequential compensation whatsover (howsoever caused) which arise out of or in connection with your use of the website.

Planning application information submitted to the Council is subject to copyright

Please note that Section 47 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 protects plans, drawings and material submitted to the Council for the purpose of obtaining planning permission. You may only use material that is downloaded and/or printed from this web site for consultation purposes; to compare current applications with previous schemes and to check whether developments have been completed in accordance with approved plans. Further copies must not be made without the prior permission of the copyright owner.

View Online

The best way to go for you to know the credible Michigan Payday Loans providers. This is a permit to the world of pleasure and the lasting sex. Cialis Super Active online is a drug, the quality level of which is determined by its action speed.

Planning Applications  contacts

 01246 242424

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Report it online

General Enquiry

Read it online

Design & Access Statement

Householder Enquiry Form

Planning Application Fees

Latest Planning Articles

Contact your councillor or MP

Enter your Postcode below:

This service is provided by writetothem.com

When is my bin collection?