English Czech French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish

Council Housing

We have over 5,000 houses, bungalows and flats to rent throughout the District to help suppoprt vulnerable and elderly people.

We understand that every property we manage is someone's home and we aim to provide a tailored service to meet the needs of all our tenants. 

We operate a Choice Based Lettings (CBL) scheme for allocating properties. We also work in partnership with Chesterfield Borough Council, North East Derbyshire District Council, Rykneld Homes and Bassetlaw District Council and properties from each are advertised weekly.

Applying For a Council Property

Before you are able to be offered a Council property you need to be on our Housing Register. The booklet Housing Application Guide (3.5MB) gives information on completing the application form (299kb). However, if you need further assistance in completing the form, or answering any of the questions, this is available at any of our Contact Centres.

Once your application has been received points will be awarded determined by housing need but priority will be given to persons occupying unsatisfactory or temporary housing, or are vulnerable for other social, economic or medical reasons.

For further details please see our Choice Based Information (1.62MB) leaflet or the full Housing Allocation Policy (310kb).

Bolsover Lettings

Bolsover Lettings is our Choice Based Lettings System. This system allows anyone with an active application on the housing waiting list, to search, select and apply for a new home of their choice across Bolsover District and its Sub Regional partners (within the usual eligibility criteria).

Bolsover Lettings gives you more choice about where you want to live. It also gives you a better idea of what properties are available in your area. Every week we will advertise most of the available Council and in time Housing Association properties. You can look at the adverts and decide whether you want to be considered for any of the properties advertised.

Properties will be advertised on the website and will be displayed at our Contact Centres.

To bid for a property you can use any of the following way:

  • On the internet
  • By telephone 0845 5052360
  • By text 07537 402491
  • Through Contact Centre employees.

Mutual Exchanges

If you are a secure tenant you can exchange or 'swap' your property with another tenant, subject to set conditions. 

The Housing Department is in the process of introducing a new mutual exchange system called swapandmove. This new service is available free of charge to our tenants and matches you with other tenants both locally and nationally who you may wish to swap homes with.


To register with swapandmove:

•          Visit www.swapandmove.co.uk to register

•          Enter details of your current home and the home you want

•          See your possible swaps


After you have registered your application the Housing Department will originally need to approve your application and after that you will be able to use the website to contact anyone you are interested in swapping with. When you register you can sign up to receive a regular email telling you when there are any new swap properties that meet your requirements.


Further details are available on the Bolsover Lettings website or by contacting the Housing Department on 01246 242424.

Buying Your Home

You can buy your council property through the Right to Buy (RTB) scheme, where you may also be entitled to a discount to the full market value. If you are a secure tenant and have held a public sector tenancy for 2 years (or 5 years if your tenancy commenced after 18 January 2005), you may be able to purchase the property that you live in through the Right to Buy. Once you have claimed the Right to Buy we will only usually carry out emergency repairs.

However, some properties such as sheltered housing are excluded from the Right to Buy.

What discount will I receive?

You could receive up to a maximum discount of £24,000 depending on the amount of time that you have been a tenant. Find our more from the Gov.uk website.


All Council tenants are responsible for ensuring that their rent is paid on time. The rent you pay is worked out according to a national rent formula set by the Government in 2002 known as rent restructuring. The purpose of rent restructuring is to reduce the difference between council and housing association rents so that eventually all tenants will pay similar rents for similar properties in the same area, the estimated timescale for this is 2012. The rent structuring formula takes into account local wages, house prices and the number of bedrooms in each home.

Council house rents are reviewed annually and the changes comes into effect on the first Monday of April. We are legally obliged to give you 28 days notice of any changes to your rent.

There is a range of payment options available for you to pay your rent including:

  • Over the internet - this is through our secure payments page.
  • By direct debit (484kb) - this is our preferred method. We currently offer payments every fortnight, 1st, 15th or 27th of the month or on the last Friday of the month and from April 2015 we will be introducing weekly direct debits.
  • Telephone - please ring 01246 242424 at any time to connect to our automated telephone payment system. You will need a touch tone telephone and your reference number and debit card details. Or you can ring during office hours where our Contact Centre advisors will be able to take a payment from you.
  • In person - at any of our Contact Centres by cash, cheque or debit card. Please note we do not accept Credit Cards.
  • By Rent Collector - we have a team of Rent Collectors who can collect your rent on a fortnightly basis, they can only take cash and cheque payments.
  • By post - cheques should be made payable to Bolsover District Council and posted to Bolsover District Council, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, Derbyshire S43 4JY. Please write your reference number on the back of the cheque so that we can process your payment. Cash should not be sent through the post

Please contact the Tenancy Management Officer at your local Contact Centre to discuss these options.

When do I pay?
Your rent is due every Monday. We only charge you rent for 48 weeks out of every year, this means that in a year you will have four weeks that you do not pay us rent, these are called 'rent free' weeks. These are usually the first two rent weeks of each year and over the Christmas period. Many tenants qualify for help towards some or all of their rent. If you think you may qualify for some help please click here for further information.

It is important that you pay your rent on time. If you fall into financial difficulties please contact your Tenancy Management Officer as an affordable repayment arrangement can be made. If you do not pay your rent then we will start taking action when you have missed two weeks payments. If you pay monthly, we start after you have missed a month's payment. We will contact you by telephone or by letter to discuss an affordable repayment arrangement. If you do not reply or make regular payments to reduce your arrears we will take legal action against you. This could lead to you losing your home. Please see the Tenancy Management Section for further details.

My account is in credit - how can I get a refund?

A Rent Refund form is available from all of the Contact Centres. Please be aware that the sum you request may not be what you receive, we will clear any other housing debt before we release any money to you.

What if I am a former tenant who owes rent?

If you are no longer a current Council tenant and you moved out without paying all the rent that was due these are known as former tenants arrears. We will pursue this debt, even though you no longer live at the property.

If you can't pay your debt all at once, we can arrange a payment plan for you. Normally we would prefer your debt to be cleared within a year, but we will want to know your incomings and outgoings to make sure you can afford the agreement we make with you. We will make regular checks to make sure you are paying what you agreed.

How is rental income spent?

Your rent covers the charge for bricks and mortar - including repairs, improvements and management of the property and the neighbourhood. Monies are also paid to Central Government.


We spend significant amounts of money repairing and improving our housing stock and we aim to deliver a high quality customer focused repair and maintenance service which carries out repairs quickly and efficiently and keeps our properties in a good state of repair.

We set ourselves key aims and objectives to do this, including providing a reliable day-to-day repairs service, repairing empty properties before new tenants move in, developing standards for the service in line with customer's wishes, carrying out regular servicing of heating systems excluding electric and ensuring our tradesmen are qualfied and trained to a high standard.

Our repairs team also includes a number of inspectors and our own team of workers, but please note that some work is carried out by contractors on our behalf. We also follow the Government's Right to Repair scheme that makes sure that certain small urgent repairs which might affect tenants' health, safety or security, are done quickly and easily. 

More detailed information can be found in our Repairs Handbook that is issued to every tenant when they sign their tenancy agreement or in our Rechargeable Repairs Policy (207kb).

Sheltered Accommodation

Sheltered housing accommodation is unfurnished properties specially designed or adapted for older people to maintain independent living. We have a number of schemes across the District and housing applicants may be eligible for sheltered housing according to age and needs.

Our Housing Needs Officers will carry out an assessment of applicants and maintain a waiting list until suitable properties become available.

Sheltered housing offers the following:

  • A Scheme Manager living on site
  • Laundry
  • Communal lounge and kitchen
  • Guest bedroom
  • District heating system
  • Concessionary TV licence scheme
  • Organised activities and events

What does the Scheme Manager do?

Although the Scheme Manager lives on site they are normally available Monday - Friday 9.00 am until 5.00 pm, this may differ from scheme to scheme. Our mobile wardens are available in an emergency when the Scheme Manager is not on duty.

They will produce and review support plan based on all tenants individual needs, they will provide advice and support to tenants and develop and facilitate social activities in the scheme. They will not provide personal care such as bathing, getting dressed or preparing and cooking individual meals but depending on their support plan will liaise with relevant agencies.

Concecessionary TV Licence scheme

The TV Licensing Authority has agreed a group TV licence for some of our sheltered housing schemes. If you qualify you will pay £7.50 fee each year for your licence. If you are 75 years old or registered blind you will automatically qualify for a free TV licence.

Approved Cash Advance In Millbrook AlFlorida Payday LoansViagra ProfessionalGoogleNews

Council Housing contacts

 01246 242424

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Report it online

General Enquiry

Read it online

Council House Application

Enforcement Policy

Housing Allocation Policy

Housing Application Guide

Rechargeable Repairs Policy

Rents Direct Debit Mandate

Latest Housing Articles

Contact your councillor or MP

Enter your Postcode below:

This service is provided by writetothem.com

When is my bin collection?