A whole host of community and school stars picked up their honours and medals from Bolsover District Council and the Bolsover District School Sport Partnership after an amazing year of sport across the District.
The top sportspeople from across Bolsover District gathered at the glitzy Bolsover District Annual Sports Awards ceremony which took place on Friday 12 October 2018 at Sports Direct in Shirebrook.
The Council and the Bolsover District School Sport Partnership joined forces to celebrate the achievements of top sportspeople, teams, club officials and volunteers from across the District and local schools over the past 12-months.
Amongst the winners was U14 Sportsman of the Year, Finlay Preece from Bolsover who has achieved some excellent performances this academic year, both on the cycling track and on the athletics track.
Community Team of the Year went to Whitwell Cricket Club 1st Eleven who won the league title and on six occasions they bowled the opposition out for fewer than 100 and four of the clubs bowlers finished in the top 15 in the league.
South Normanton colts FC Committee won the Community Award of the Year. The committee ensure they continue to meet the standards of a FA Charter Standard Development Club and have built relationships in the community and surrounding areas to integrate into the local community.
Bolsover District Council Chairman, Councillor Tom Munro presented the winners with their awards and said, “It was another fantastic night that enabled us to honour the many people and clubs who make such an outstanding contribution to sport. Without them, we would not have the wide range of sporting talent we have across the district today. My congratulations go to not only the winners, but everyone who was nominated and takes part in sport.
“I am amazed at the sporting talent and dedication we have in our District. We have international stars playing and representing their country to volunteers who literally dedicate their life to a sport and a club – it is very humbling.”
Nyah Horsley, a former pupil from Palterton Primary School, won the Primary Sportswoman of the Year award after she was crowned the District cross country champion for the 4th year in a row.
As part of the evening John Barker, former Partnership Development Manager (PDM) for the Bolsover District School Sports Partnership was presented with the Service to Sport Physical Activity award. John retired at the end of the academic year and was PDM for the last 13 years, taking the partnership from strength to strength with his main driving force being his passion and utter belief that Sport and Physical Activity can and does make a real difference to young people.
The 2018 winners were:
- Community Volunteer of the Year - Lynda Hall
- School Staff Volunteer of the Year - Allyson Elliott
- Disabled School Sports Leader of the Year - Daniel Taylor
- Secondary School Sports Leader of the Year - Dalton Cooper
- Young Sports Leader/Sports Coach of the Year - Declan Fox
- Primary School Sports Organising Crew - Palterton Primary School
- Community Award of the Year - South Normanton Colts FC Committee
- Active Schools of the Year
- Morton Primary School
- Duckmanton Primary School
- Town End Junior School
- Palterton Primary School
- Infant Active Shool of the Year
- Tibshelf Infant and Nursery School
- Sporting Achievement through Adversity - Ruby Gunn
- Primary School Team of the Year - Brockley Primary School – Basketball Team
- Secondary School Team of the Year - Shirebrook Academy – Boccia Team
- Community Team of the Year - Whitwell Cricket Club 1st Eleven
- Community Junior Team of the Year - South Normanton Colts FC U14s Girls
- Community Club of the Year - South Normanton Colts FC
- Outstanding Achievement of the Year - U11 Girls District Football Team
- Primary Sportsman of the Year - George Cooper
- Primary Sportswoman of the Year - Nyah Horsley
- U14 Sportsman of the Year - Finlay Preece
- U14 Sportswoman of the Year - Hannah Moody
- U14 Disabled Sportsperson of the Year - Lucy Taylor
- Young Sportsman of the Year - Thomas Parsons
- Young Sportswoman of the Year - Rebecca Johns
Together with Bolsover District School Sports Partnership, we would also like to thank the following organisations/businesses who kindly sponsored awards.
- Sports Direct
- H.W Martin Limited
- Express Coaching Services
- Purpose Media