Contact Us

Telephone 01246 242424

click here
to see what services we are responsible for


Bolsover Contact Centre, Cotton Street, Bolsover S44 6HA
Clowne Contact Centre, The Arc, High Street, Clowne S43 4JY (main headquarters)


Shirebrook Contact Centre, 2A Main Street, Shirebrook NG20 8AW
South Normanton Contact Centre, The Hub, Shiners Way, South Normanton DE55 2AA


When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

Go!Active @ The Arc

Community safety

  • CAN Rangers Open or Close

    Community Action Network (CAN) Rangers provide a highly visible, uniformed, presence in residential and public areas, town centres and high crime areas.

    Unlike Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs), the CAN Rangers do not have any police powers. Rather, they are meant to be the eyes and ears of the community, looking to improve the quality of life of an area and help it along the path to regeneration. They will also try to resolve anti social behavioural issues in the initial stages.

    As well as providing a link between local residents and key agencies such as the local authority and the police, the CAN Rangers also undertake initiatives to provide education and advice on tackling environmental issues such as litter, graffiti, dog fouling and can issue Fixed Penalty Notices of £50 for such offences.

  • Anti Social Behaviour Open or Close
    Anti Social Behaviour (ASB) covers many types of actions from low-level persistent nuisance to serious public disturbance. It covers the following:
    • behaviour that can cause nuisance and annoyance
    • behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress
    • behaviour which creates significant and persistent problems in neighbourhoods
    • behaviour which leaves communities feeling intimidated and afraid.

    Anti social behaviour includes a range of problems – noisy neighbours, abandoned cars, vandalism, graffiti, litter and youth nuisance.  Together with the Community Safety Partnership, we recognise that the behaviour of a persistent minority can ruin the lives of individuals and damage whole communities. It can hold back the regeneration of our most disadvantaged areas, creating the environment in which crime can take hold.

    If you are experiencing anti social behaviour and this is being caused by someone in your neighbourhood your first point of contact should be through our Contact Centres or in the case of an emergency contact the Police on 999.

    Other information on anti social behaviour can be obtained from the following organisations:
  • Community Safety Partnership Open or Close

    Community Safety Partnerships (CSP) were set up as statutory bodies under Sections 5-7 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

    Bolsover Community Safety Partnership is a multi-agency partnership working together to tackle crime and disorder in the district and is made up of the following organisations (responsible authorities):

    The responsible authorities work together to develop and implement strategies to protect their local communities from crime and to help people feel safe. They work out local approaches to deal with issues including antisocial behaviour, drug or alcohol misuse and re-offending as well as Crime and disorder. They also work with others who have a key role, including community groups, schools and registered local landlords.

    The CSP works to a Community Safety Partnership Plan 2017-2020 (393kb) which is reviewed by the end of March on an annual basis. 

    We are aware that agencies cannot be effective by working alone and we need the support of the local communities in helping to identify problems and formulate appropriate solutions.  Local communities also need to be involved in local crime prevention activities we undertake. For example, by taking up the crime prevention advice provided.

    We have published our latest newsletter that features information on what the Community Safety Partnership has been doing, an update on the CSP Plan and some useful numbers. Please also find a copy of the Police and Crime Commissioner's Council Tax Budget Summary here for 2018-2019.


  • Community Trigger Open or Close

    The Community Trigger gives those affected by anti-social behaviour, the right to request an Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review of the response to their reports of anti-social behaviour.  The Community Trigger should only be used if you think your concerns have not been dealt with, or acted upon, by agencies.

    Community Trigger can be used if:

    You have reported three or more related incidents of anti-social behaviour, within the last six months, or Five separate individuals have reported related incidents of anti-social behaviour, within the last six months. 

    In order to use the Community Trigger to request an Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review, you must submit a completed application form. Please use the application form located in the document links section.

    When a completed Community Trigger Application Form is received, we will acknowledge receipt of your request for an Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review, within five working days.

    We will review the information you have provided, to determine whether your case meets the Community Trigger threshold. If it does, an Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review will take place.We will inform you of the outcome and recommendations of the Anti-Social Behaviour Case Review.

    For a full detailed guide to community trigger please download the guidance form from the document links section.

    The legislation requires partnerships to publish the ASB case review statistics as part of Community Triggers.

    From 1 September 2015 to 30 September 2018:

    • Applications received – 0
    • Number of times the threshold has not been met – 0
    • Number of case reviews carried out – 0
    • Number of case reviews carried out that resulted in recommendations being made – 0

    The next update will be at the end of December 2018.

  • Crime Prevention Open or Close

    Each of us can play an important part in reducing overall crime levels, by taking action to reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime ourselves by taking on board crime prevention advice.

    This can be done by making sure our homes and vehicles are secured, keeping valuables in a safe place, and making sure property is marked. We can also improve our personal safety by keeping wallets and purses, mobile phones and other items from view that are of interest to the opportunist thief.

    Here is a link to more detailed Crime Prevention Advice

  • Domestic Abuse Open or Close

    Domestic violence and abuse affects thousands of people from all different backgrounds. It does not matter whether you are young or old, if you are religious or not, whether you are male or female.

    Are the statements below applicable to you?
    Does a spouse, or partner you are intimate with, or a relative:
    Ridicule and humiliate you in public or in private?
    Complain about you going out or having friends?
    Turn your children against you or use them in arguments?
    Isolate you from your family and friends and daily activities?
    Deny you access to finances preventing you from having money of your own?
    Swear at, push, slap, punch or beat you?
    Force you to perform sexual acts or have sex?
    Harm or threaten to harm the children?
    Damage or threaten to damage your property?

    If your answer to one or more of these questions is yes, you can now get help locally. Services are free and confidential. You will be allowed to make your own decisions. No one will force you into anything you do not want to do. Please use the contact links on this page for help and guidance.

  • Drugs and Alcohol Open or Close
    Alcohol abuse is consistently identified as a top priority in terms of health and community safety.
    The Community Safety Partnership (CSP) work with DAAT (Derbyshire Drugs & Alcohol Action Team) and other partners to address alcohol related problems in the Bolsover District.

    The DAAT co-ordinates and commissions drug treatment services and related activities to fulfil the aim of tackling substance misuse.
    The Partnership continually promotes a message of sensible drinking distributing information/education leaflets and booklets to the community via targeted patrols and crime cracking events.
  • Emergencies Open or Close

    Emergencies come in all shapes and sizes and when we least expect them. They can vary from severe weather disruption and flooding to loss of premises and power failure to chemical leaks and explosions.

    If an emergency occurs, as a local authority, we have a vital role to play in helping to keep you safe, provide information on what to do, keep local services operating as much as possible and keep you informed off the situation.

    Together with our partners, we prepare for such emergencies by attending regular training and exercises so we can ensure we are prepared and there is a co-ordinated and efficient response. As a local council we also have plans in place to deal with such emergencies.
    The Derbyshire Prepared website will provide you with a one-stop shop of information and advice to help you better prepare for any emergency in Bolsover District and the county of Derbyshire.

    Many people live in flood risk areas and here we provide information on preparing for a flood, where help is available from and also on cleaning up after the event. If you live along a riverbank there is always the possibility that bad weather will threaten your property with flooding - but what can you do to prepare?

    Flood warnings
    The first thing to do is register to receive Flood Warnings from the Environment Agency so you know exactly where and what is happening. For real-time flood warnings and advice you can call the Environment Agency’s Floodline on 0845 988 1188. The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Derbyshire Prepared

    Derbyshire Prepared is a website of the Derbyshire Local Resilience Forum where you can find information and advice to help you better prepare if there was an emergency in the county.


  • Parenting Open or Close

    We would like to achieve a future in which any parent within the District who needs support will know where to turn and be able to benefit from a range of appropriate and accessible services. Improving parents' skills, taking preventative measures and using enforcement action to reduce anti social behaviour will contribute to strengthening communities.

    We recognise that the majority of parents in the District do a good job, often in challenging circumstances. Below are some useful links ranging from general information through to specialist services including access to evidence based parenting programmes and courses.

    Useful websites:

    Change 4 Life

    Derbyshire Schools


Education & Learning

artcile text here

Environment 1

  • Abandoned Vehicles Open or Close

    Abandoned vehicle reports are increasing. If you abandon a vehicle you could receive a fixed penalty of £200 or face prosecution. Remember, unless your car is a complete wreck, it might still be worth something, so you should consider scrapping it or donate it to charity.

    To report an abandoned vehicle, visit our Do it Online pages. Please ensure you do not report a vehicle that is not abandoned as it takes up valuable time to investigate.

    Where a vehicle's causing an obstruction, or is dangerously parked, you should call the police on 101. 

    If it is in relation to a parking offence then you should report it to Derbyshire District Council.

    To report a vehicle that is untaxed or uninsured, please contact the DVLA.

    There is strict criteria that a vehicle must meet in order for us to consider it as abandoned. If a vehicle meets the criteria and does appear to be abandoned we will work with the DVLA to identify the owner. We may serve a notice giving the owner between 24 hours and 7 days to remove it (depending on the condition of the vehicle). If a vehicle is assessed as being in a dangerous condition i.e burnt out or a wreck, it will be removed immediately.”

  • Dead Animals Open or Close

    You can report a dead animal using the Do it Online button on this page.

    Our street cleansing team will collect dead animals from the highways and footpaths throughout the District. All livestock carcases must be disposed of at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) approved premises.

  • Dog Fouling Open or Close
    You can report dog fouling using the Do it Online form here.
    Dog fouling is a major problem, and one we are actively targeting to reduce. Please report any dog fouling incidents to us via our online service.

    If you are a dog owner, some of the responsibilities you should adhere to are:
    • Carry a means to clear up mess after your dog. Poop bags are available free from Council Offices.
    • Dispose of the waste correctly. Please click on the ‘Find My..’ button to find your nearest dog bin.
    • Never let your dog out in public on its own.
    If you’re dog is picked up by our Dog Warden you will have to pay to get your dog back. If you are caught letting your dog foul without clearing it up you may face a fixed penalty notice of £50 or a court fine up to £1,000.
    Please report incidents of dog fouling via our ‘Do it Online’ service, where you will be treated in confidence. Please provide as many details as you can to help our enforcement staff convict the offenders.
  • Drains and Sewers Open or Close

    From October 2011, the water and sewerage companies (see below) became responsible for the private sewers and lateral drains. There are some exceptions, so it's best to check with your water company if you are at all unsure.

    The change meant you are now only responsible for the drainage pipe which serves your own property. Sewer pipes which are shared by more than one property, or run beyond your property boundary, are your water authorities responsibility. The new rules will stop you being charged for costly repairs for issues that aren't your fault.

    As well as the private drains serving a single home or business within the boundary of the property, there are a few other types of pipes that are not covered by the Regulations and will remain the responsibility of the current owners after 1 October 2011. These are:

    • Water supply pipes within your property boundary
    • Existing surface water sewers that drain directly to watercourses
    • Privately owned sewage treatment works and pipes connected to them
    • Privately owned septic tanks and cesspits (including all associated pipes even if serving more than one property)
    • Private pumping stations

    If you have a problem related to the above you should contact Severn Trent Water or Yorkshire Water.

    Blocked Drains

    Private Properties

    We will no longer attend to blockages in private drains.

    Private customers should contact their Water Authority to determine if the blockage is in the public sewer or private drain, even if located within the boundary of their property. If the Water Authority determines that the problem is in the private drain then you will need to arrange and pay for a private contractor to attend. We will not recommend specific contractors, so we would advise you to look through the relevant business directories.

    Council Owned Properties

    As a responsible landlord, we will continue to deal with blockages in our properties and these should be reported to us immediately. If we suspect the blockage lies in a public sewer we will contact the Water Authority otherwise we will attend to the blockage ourselves.

  • Enforcement Policy Open or Close

    Bolsover District Council is responsible for ensuring that a wide range of legislation is being properly complied with, by businesses and individuals. This is to protect the rights and safety of the Districts residents, workers, visitors and the local environment.

    The Councils takes a positive, proactive and balanced approach to ensure compliance. This policy helps to promote an efficient and effective approach to regulatory enforcement to ensure that we act in a consistent and fair manner.

    The policy sets out the approach to be followed by authorised officers when making decisions in respect of compliance and enforcement activities. It sets out the levels of enforcement action available to the Councils, how we will determine which action is appropriate in the event of non-compliance and how we will conduct our investigations.

    This is an overarching policy which covers the whole of the Councils enforcement activities. Individual service areas are required to follow a range of legislation and regulations when considering enforcement activity and as such, many of these areas have specific enforcement policies which are reviewed regularly.

    These policies are available be accessing the links below

    Enforcement Policy (Joint Environmental Health Service)

    Joint Fly Tipping Policy

    Statement of Licensing Policy (Licensing Act 2003)

    Statement of Licensing Principles (Gambling Act 2005) 

    Taxi Licensing Policy (Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 etc. – new policy approved Sept

    ASB Policy 

    Local Enforcement Plan (Planning) 

    Nuisance Vehicles Policy

    Local Taxation – Debt Recovery Policy

  • Fixed Penalty Notices Open or Close

     A fixed penalty notice is a fine and an opportunity for an offence not to be taken further to court.

    If one of our authorised officers believes you have committed an offence then they could prosecute you for the offence. However, a fixed penalty fine will usually be issued instead unless you have received one previously.

    A fixed penalty fine is a method of allowing the person who has committed an offence the opportunity to discharge any liability to conviction for that offence. On payment of the fixed penalty fine, we cannot prosecute you for the offence but if payment is not received then we will prosecute you for the original offence.

    How to pay

    Please quote the red FPN reference number at the bottom of the notice to ensure your payment is processed quickly.

    You can pay by cash cheque or debit card at any of the council offices, by telephone: 01246242424 to pay using a debit card or by post. Cheques can be made payable to Bolsover District Council with your name and address on the back. Please include the notice with the payment.

    For more detailed information on Fixed penalty notices see our FAQ's here. We also produce quarterly stats for the FPN's issued. 

    October - December 2018
    July - September 2018



  • Food Hygiene Open or Close
    All food businesses are subject to routine food hygiene inspections from our officers; visits to premises are usually carried out without prior notice. The frequency of inspections is decided by a risk analysis, so that those premises that present the greatest risk are inspected most frequently.
    During an inspection, officers will want to ensure that potential food safety risks have been identified by the business, and that there are adequate controls in place to prevent any future problems. The officers will inspect records and may take photographs and samples.  They will make sure that managers and food handlers are properly trained and will check that the condition of the premises and equipment is satisfactory.
    Where conditions are not satisfactory, every attempt will be made to resolve the situation, but where poor conditions exist or where there is a risk to public health it may be necessary to resort to formal action.
    General information on food hygiene and safety can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.
  • Grass Cutting Open or Close

    A clean, green and safe environment is a top priority for us. We manage and maintain a number of the District's parks, recreation grounds, closed cemeteries and green open areas. This can also be carried out in partnership with local Parish Councils and under agency arrangements with Derbyshire County Council.


    Different types of open space require different levels of maintenance, so the frequency varies according to the location.
    In areas such as closed cemeteries, public open spaces, play areas and grass verges you can expect the grass to be cut on average every two weeks between March and October, dependent on weather conditions. On vacant open area sites we will cut the grass at least once a month from March to October, again dependent on weather conditions.


    Road safety is our main concern and at places where visibility is important we cut accordingly. Verges are cut on average twice every month between March and October.
    We are also aware of our responsibilities towards increasing biodiversity, so we cut in a way that allows animals and wild flowers to enjoy their natural habitat, while still making sure safety is a priority.

    Assisted Gardening

    If you are a Council tenant and are not physically capable of maintaining your own garden and have no family in the area you may be able to get assistance from us. Each case is determined on its own merits and you should contact us to arrange a visit. You can fill in a general enquiry form via our ‘Do it Online’ button and a member of staff will contact you to arrange an informal visit to assess your situation.

    Tree Pruning and Hedge Cutting

    We undertake a programme of cutting, pruning and conservation to maintain our trees, hedges and other aspects of the natural landscape. We trim hedges bordering the highway at least once a year, as well as the hedges of infirm council tenants. Trees will be examined regularly and maintenance work carried out as necessary. Health and safety of the public is a priority and also that of the natural environment.
    If the tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), or is in a conservation area you must contact us before you do any work. Applications for work on trees in conservation areas usually take up to six weeks of receiving the application. Applications for work on trees covered by a TPO will be dealt within eight weeks of receiving the application. Our team of gardening experts provide a full range of services to keep your garden looking at its best. Please get in touch so that we can provide a quote to look after your garden, whether it is privately owned or rented.

    We offer:

    • Hedge trimming
    • Grass cutting
    • Tree pruning and felling works
    • Shrub and border maintenance

    All work is undertaken to a professional standard so you can rely on us to look after your garden. You can request to be put on our assisted garden list by filling in a general enquiry form using the ‘Do it Online’ button.

  • Noise Nuisance Open or Close
    The most common enquiries are about disturbance from neighbours, such as loud music and televisions, barking dogs, vehicle repairs and DIY noise. Other problems include burglar and car alarms, building site noise, noise made by businesses, licensed premises and noise in the street. For us to take action we need to be sure that the problem is a 'statutory noise nuisance'.

    Upon receiving a complaint we will require you to keep records of the noise nuisance. This may be used as evidence in a Magistrates Court at a later date. After submitting these records, our officers will undertake an investigation using a range of equipment including sound level meters and digital recordings.

    Where a nuisance is found to exist, or is likely to occur or re-occur legal action may be taken against the person responsible to abate and prevent its recurrence.
    Barking Dogs
    Barking Dogs are commonly complained about. But many dogs like to bark! It's a totally natural thing for them to do and in most cases it doesn't cause any problems. However, sometimes a dog may bark a lot, disturbing neighbours, keeping you awake at night or frightening visitors to your home. A barking dog is lonely, bored or unhappy. If you have to leave your dog, make sure it has had enough exercise. If necessary leave the radio on to keep it company and get a neighbour to look in. You can report an issue about a dog barking using our 'Do it Online’ button.

    Burglar Alarms
    Can be reported via our ‘Do it Online’ button.
    Commercial Noise
    If you are disturbed by such a noise or odour, and are able to identify the source, try visiting the premises and speaking to the Manager. In many cases, they are not aware that there is a problem and are happy to try to resolve it. If this is not successful, you can ask us to investigate. You can do this via our ‘Online Services’ button. Be prepared to provide your own details, and information relating to the noise and how it affects you. You may be asked to keep a diary of the disturbance.
    If we judge noise from fireworks to be a statutory nuisance we can issue an abatement notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. As firework noise is short lived, in practice it can prove difficult to locate the source. To avoid noise problems with fireworks we recommend that you:
    Tell your neighbours about the display
    Locate the fireworks away from buildings that could reflect noise
    The UK Firework Review website contains the main laws, regulations and other key points you will need to be aware of when you buy and use fireworks in the UK.
    Loud Music
    Please be aware that noise from loud music can be considered a nuisance to neighbours at any time of day or night. If you are disturbed by loud music, then please speak to your neighbour in the first instance. If this does not work, then we can investigate this for you. If we receive a complaint of loud music the investigating officer will consider the following when assessing nuisance:

    The volume of music, and in particular the bass content which gives the distinctive "bass thump" in neighbouring properties. Please remember that the volume of music should decrease as the evening draws on.
    The duration of the noise - Neighbours may tolerate the playing of music, but prolonged or excessive bouts of music during the day or night is likely to be disturbing. Sleep disturbance is the most common reason for reporting parties/gatherings to us so be wary of the likely impact that this will have on your neighbours. You can report loud music via our ‘Do it Online’ button.

    Noisy Neighbours
    If you are concerned about noise coming from a neighbour’s property, a local business, vehicles or equipment in the street, often the best way to deal with the problem is to go to the source. Think about talking to the person or company responsible for the noise and explaining how their noise is affecting you. You may find that they don’t know they are disturbing you and often a friendly informal approach is enough to sort out the problem and maintain good relations.
    If you don't feel that you can approach the person or company involved we can contact them on your behalf.
    We will ask you to keep a diary of the noisy occurrences for approximately two weeks and we may come out and listen to the noise ourselves, and contact the other party/your neighbour. We will suggest a solution or compromise to both parties if we consider the noise to be unreasonable. However, it is possible that we feel there is no justification for our involvement. In this case, we would offer advice to you, and explain the reasons for our decision.
    We cannot respond to anonymous complaints as we need to prove nuisance at the home of the people disturbed by the noise. You can report a noisy neighbour by using the ‘Do it Online’ button.
  • Pests Open or Close


    We provide advice and treatment services covering a range of domestic pests such as rats, mice, fleas and wasps. This service is for domestic premises only and adheres to our Pest Control Policy (194kb). No treatment in commercial premises will be undertaken. Please click here for Pest Control informatino for residents.

    The pest control service will be provided within the boundary of domestic premises only for the eradication of:

    Treatment Timescale for appointment Charge

    Rats inside your property

    1 working day No charge
    Rats outside your property 5 working days No charge
    Bed Bugs 5 working days Standard Fee £46.23 
    Out of Hours Fee £60.45
    Cockroaches inside your property 5 working days Standard Fee £46.23 
    Out of Hours Fee £60.45
    Fleas inside your property 5 working days Standard Fee £46.23 
    Out of Hours Fee £60.45
    Mice inside your property 5 working days No charge
    Wasps 5 working days £46.23
    Advice and Guidance 2 working days No charge

    If you need to pay for a treatment you can do so by debit card over the phone whilst you make an appointment for your treatment. Out of hours service is only available in emergency circumstances and is at the discretion of the Joint Assistant Director of Environmental Health. Every person requesting the service will be charged including Council tenants, private tenants, owner occupiers and landlords. Contact us for further advice.

    Invasive Species
    Please see the information factsheet for dealing with pests such as invasive weeds like Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam and Giant Hogweed. If you think you have Japanese Knotweed or need help in identifying it, please see our factsheet.

    Non Native Species

    Asian Hornet

    There are several key features to look out for which will help you distinguish between Asian hornets, and our native European hornet, Vespa crabro:
    •The Asian hornet is smaller, with queens up to 30 mm, and workers up to 25 mm in length. European hornet queens can reach 35 mm
    •A key feature of Asian hornets is its almost entirely dark abdomen except for the 4th segment which is yellow. European hornets, on the other hand, have a brown and yellow striped abdomen (see below)
    •Whereas the legs of European hornets are dark, Asian hornets have bright yellow tips to their legs
    •Asian hornets are only active during the day, unlike our native hornet which is most active at night

    If you think you may have spotted an Asian hornet please either email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



  • Pollution Open or Close
    Pollutants come in a wide range of forms, and can affect our quality of life and health.
    We carry out a wide range of duties and functions including air quality monitoring and management, dealing with neighbourhood nuisance including loud noise, obnoxious smells, dust and smoke. You can find out more information below regarding the following types of pollution: 

    We operate a monitoring programme for atmospheric pollutants using a network of equipment, and take action to make sure that problems are dealt with swiftly.
    You can find out more about air pollution and the laws that help us to take action against it on the Environment Agency website. You might also like to look at our pages about Smoke Control. We  have produced a Q&A document on Air Quality which explains our statutory duties and also the EU Ambient Air Quality Directive and the difference between the two. 
    If you have a query about air quality, or think that someone near you is polluting the air, please use the Do it Online button above to report it.

    Asbestos could be present in any building that was built or refurbished before the year 2000. It was commonly used in the building industry in the products such as:
    • Corrugated sheets for roofing and cladding
    • Gutters and downpipes
    • Flat sheeting for partitioning, cladding and door facings
    • Flue pipes
    Asbestos sheeting is a grey, hard, brittle material containing asbestos fibre. Older properties may have lagging that contains asbestos around any original pipework. Asbestos insulation board was commonly used in the 1960's and 1970's and looks like plasterboard, but is thinner and softer. On no account should you disturb lagging or insulation board. Removal of asbestos must always be undertaken by specialist contractors.
    Asbestos is classed as hazardous waste and requires a specialist contractor to collect and dispose of it. Before starting any work, you should seek advice as to how the material can be disposed of and how much it will cost.
    Fly Tipped Asbestos
    Because asbestos is classed as hazardous, if it is fly tipped on private property you will be advised to hire a private contractor who is licensed to remove such waste - please telephone as soon as possible.
    If you see any hazardous waste being fly tipped please report this to us as soon as possible. If the asbestos waste is in a water course or in imminent danger of polluting the water course please contact the Environment Agency.
    Industrial activity throughout the UK has left us with the legacy of old derelict sites, many with problems of residual contamination. Some of these sites are potentially hazardous to human health, watercourses or other such sensitive receptors.
    Legislation formed under Part IIa of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 was introduced in April 2000 to facilitate the identification and remediation of such sites. As part of this legislation, Local Authorities were given the responsibility of developing a strategy for inspecting their areas and identifying potentially harmful sites.
    We are responsible for identifying and keeping a register of any contaminated sites in North East Derbyshire, and our Contaminated Land Strategy sets out how we do this. We are currently reviewing the strategy and the new version will be available here when it is completed. 
    A guide to Submitting Applications For Land That May Be Contaminated (1.7MB) has been produced by the Derbyshire Contaminated Land Sub-Group. The Environment Agency have useful information on contaminated land.
    Please visit our main noise web page for more information.
    Parts of the Bolsover District have been officially designated as smoke control areas, where only authorised fuels may be burned, or other fuels may be burned in exempt appliances.
    It is an offence to emit smoke from the chimney of a building in a designated smoke controlled area. It is also an offence to acquire an "unauthorised fuel" for use within a smoke controlled area unless it is in an exempt appliance.

    If you have a problem with your water supply your first point of contact should be your Water Provider. This is likely to be either Severn Trent or Yorkshire Water in our District. 
    If you have a problem with a watercourse then please contact the Environment Agency.
  • Rubbish, Litter & Graffiti Open or Close
    We are responsible for the day-to-day cleansing requirements of the District and this includes the hand and mechanical sweeping of highways, pavements and public open spaces such as car parks and market squares to remove litter and detritus.

    We regularly monitor the District for areas that have been affected by graffiti. We have a zero tolerance stance on graffiti and we do everything in our powers to ensure any offenders are dealt with as quickly and sternly as possible.

    We aim to remove graffiti on Council buildings within 10 working days of it being reported to us. We aim to remove any racist, obscene or abusive graffiti within 24 hours of it being reported to us. If the graffiti is on property or business premises we will work with the occupier to influence its speedy removal. By agreement we may remove graffiti from private or business properties on a rechargeable basis.

    If you see any area that has been defaced by graffiti and wish to report it, please contact the Council. Report it via ‘Do it Online’ on this page.

    Litter and Fly Tipping

    New littering rules are now in place as of April 2018.

    For the first time, local authorities will also be able to apply penalties for littering to vehicle owners if it can be proved litter was thrown from their car – even if it was discarded by somebody else.

    So it’s up to you as a vehicle owner to ensure no one discards litter from your vehicle or YOU will receive a fixed penalty

    Litter and fly tipping is a blight on our countryside - it is unsightly, unpleasant and dangerous to the public and animals. Always place your litter in a litter bin or take it home.
    To report an issue with litter or fly tipping please use our ‘Do it Online’ service.
    Anyone dropping litter can be liable to an immediate fixed penalty notice (FPN) of £50 and if you fail to pay this within the statutory 14-days then you may be taken to court where the maximum fine can be £2,500.

    Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste on public or private land. Fly tipping is a crime that blights our communities, it's unsightly, can be hazardous and can lead to injuries both to the public and wildlife and is costly to remove. We can take legal action against householders whose waste is tipped illegally (whether they know about it or not), which can end up with a fine of up to £50,000 and/or twelve months imprisonment for those found guilty of fly tipping.
    To help us catch people who fly tip, every time we have an instance we will post a description and pictures of what has been dumped in our countryside and in your local community. If you recognise what has been dumped, be it the wall paper, tiling, the furniture etc, or you know who in the particular area has recently had work done that may have resulted in the fly tipping, then please contact us confidentially so we can catch the culprits.
    Any information that is supplied to us will be in the strictest of confidence.
  • Street Cleaning Open or Close

    We cleanse roads, footpaths, car parks and other public areas across the area to keep our district clean and healthy. We are responsible for:

    Removing of litter & detritus
    Sweeping roads and footpaths
    Removing fly tipped waste
    Removing dead animals from the highway
    Emptying litter and dog waste bins

    If you are concerned about the condition of a footpath, road or street, please use our ‘Do it Online’ services to report the issue.

Food safety 1

  • Businesses Open or Close

    Please visit our main food businesses page for more detailed information.

  • Complaints Open or Close

    If you've got a complaint about a food product you've bought, or a place where you've eaten, we want to hear from you. Please contact us via our 'Do it Online' button to submit your enquiry.

  • Food Hygiene Rating Scheme Open or Close
    The food hygiene scheme helps you choose where to eat out or shop for food by giving you information about the hygiene standards in restaurants, pubs, cafes, takeaways, hotels, and other places you eat out. Supermarkets and other food shops are also included in the scheme.

    Each business is given a 'hygiene rating' when it is inspected by one of our food safety officers. The hygiene rating shows how closely the business is meeting the requirements of food hygiene law. 
    The score reflects:

    How hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
    The condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
    How the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe
    The ratings show the hygiene standards of the business as follows:

    0 - urgent improvement necessary
    1 - major improvement necessary
    2 - improvement necessary
    3 - generally satisfactory
    4 - good
    5 - very good

    If you are rated over 3, you may be eligible to join the “Heart of Derbyshire” scheme. This is a scheme which is operated by Derbyshire County Council together with Bolsover District Council that rewards you for offering your customers ‘healthier’ food. 

    For information about the scheme please visit the Heart of Derbyshire section of the Derbyshire County Council website or by telephone 01629 536166.
  • Food Safety Open or Close

    Food poisoning is an illness which usually occurs after eating or drinking food or drink that is contaminated by germs or chemicals.
    Doctors have a duty to report food poisonings and certain infectious disease cases to the Consultant in Communicable Disease Control (CCDC). We also have a duty to investigate food poisoning and certain infectious diseases.

    Depending on the contaminant, this may cause fever, chills, bloody stool and dehydration. These symptoms may affect one person or a group of people who ate the same food causing an outbreak. Even food which looks and tastes alright can cause food poisoning. Raw food, especially meats and raw poultry contain germs which can cause food poisoning.
    For further information please contact your GP or NHS Direct

  • Warnings Open or Close

    Food hazard warnings are issued as foods sometimes have to be withdrawn or recalled if there is a risk to consumers because the allergy labelling is missing or incorrect or if there is any other food allergy risk.

    Please click here to visit the Food standards Agency website for all the latest recalls and food warnings.

Latest Promotion

Whitwell Pick n Mix

What's on

23 Jan 2019 10:00- 
 Growth Scrutiny Committee
24 Jan 2019 10:00- 
 Licensing Committee
29 Jan 2019 09:30- 

Latest Tweets

Go to top