Contact Us

Telephone 01246 242424

click here
to see what services we are responsible for


Bolsover Contact Centre, Cotton Street, Bolsover S44 6HA
Clowne Contact Centre, The Arc, High Street, Clowne S43 4JY (main headquarters)


Shirebrook Contact Centre, 2A Main Street, Shirebrook NG20 8AW
South Normanton Contact Centre, The Hub, Shiners Way, South Normanton DE55 2AA


When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

Go!Active @ The Arc

Health & Social Care

artcile text here


  • Applying for Council Housing Open or Close

    Before you are able to be offered a Council property you need to be on our Housing Register. The booklet Housing Application Guide (659kb) gives information on completing the application form (465kb). Please note that any applicant who completes the housing application form and is living in rented accommodation (excluding Bolsover District Council tenants) you will have to have the private and confidential checklist (165kb) completed by your current landlord otherwise your application will not be processed.

    If you need further assistance in completing the form, or answering any of the questions, this is available at any of our Contact Centres.

    Once your application has been received, points will be awarded, determined by housing need, but priority will be given to persons occupying unsatisfactory or temporary housing, or are vulnerable for other social, economic or medical reasons.

    For further details please see our Choice Based Lettings booklet (608kb) leaflet or the full Housing Allocation Policy (608kb).

    Bolsover Lettings

    Bolsover Lettings is our Choice Based Lettings System. This system allows anyone with an active application on the housing waiting list, to search, select and apply for a new home of their choice across Bolsover District and its Sub Regional partners (within the usual eligibility criteria).

    Bolsover Lettings gives you more choice about where you want to live. It also gives you a better idea of what properties are available in your area. Every week we will advertise most of the available Council and in time Housing Association properties. You can look at the adverts and decide whether you want to be considered for any of the properties advertised.

    Properties will be advertised on the website and will be displayed at our Contact Centres.

    To bid for a property you can:

    • On the internet 
    • Through Contact Centre employees.

    Mutual Exchanges

    Please note that the swap and move service was discontinued on 18th May 2018.

    Bolsover Lettings has now subscribed to Homeswapper's online mutual exchange service.  Homeswapper is the UK's largest community of social housing tenants looking for a home swap.  It is a quick and easy way of finding both local and national moves with over 500,000 tenants currently registered.  Registering with HomeSwapper is a quicker option than waiting for a move on our Transfer List.

    HomeSwapper matches you with other tenants who you may wish to swap homes with.  Swaps are available both locally and nationally.  As a tenant of Bolsover District Council you can use HomeSwapper free of charge.

    How to use HomeSwapper

    *     Visit HomeSwapper on www.homeswapper.co.uk to register or download the FREE app, available on the App store and on Google Play

    *     Enter details of your current home and home you want

    *     See any possible swaps

    After you have registered your application the Housing Department will originally need to approve your application and after that you will be able to use the website to contact anyone you are interested in swapping with. When you register you can sign up to receive a regular email telling you when there are any new swap properties that meet your requirements.

    Further details are available on the Bolsover District Council website or by contacting the Housing Department on 01246 242424.

  • Bolsover Lettings Open or Close

     Bolsover Lettings is designed to give you better access to your housing options. Details will be published on this web page highlighting the properties currently available, you can then decide which properties you wish to be considered for and contact us on 01246 242424.

    If you are currently on the housing register you can bid for properties on www.bolsoverlettings.org.uk or call us on 01246 242424 for guidance.


  • Council Housing Open or Close

    We have over 5,000 houses, bungalows and flats to rent throughout the District to help suppoprt vulnerable and elderly people. We understand that every property we manage is someone's home and we aim to provide a tailored service to meet the needs of all our tenants. 

    We operate a Choice Based Lettings (CBL) scheme for allocating properties. We also work in partnership with Chesterfield Borough Council, North East Derbyshire District Council, Rykneld Homes and Bassetlaw District Council and properties from each are advertised weekly.

    Buying Your Home

    Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount. 

    You can get a discount on the market value of your home when you buy it if you qualify for Right to Buy. The maximum discount is £77,900 across England, except in London boroughs where it’s £103,900. It will increase each year in April in line with the consumer price index (CPI).

    The discount is based on:

    • how long you’ve been a tenant with a public sector landlord
    • the type of property you’re buying - a flat or house
    • the value of your home

    If you’re buying with someone else, you count the years of whoever’s been a public sector tenant the longest. You will usually have to repay some or all your discount if you sell your home within 5 years. You might get a smaller discount if you’ve used Right to Buy in the past. Find our more from the Gov.uk website.


    Tenants may carry out improvements to their home provided they obtain written permission from us first. We will only refuse permission for specific reasons of safety or detriment to the property. If we grant permission this will always be in writing and may be conditional on certain conditions (for example, work being carried out by a qualified contractor)

    Tenants are responsible for obtaining any planning permission and building regulations approval. They must submit full details (and plans if appropriate), together with the name(s) of those who will carry out the work, to us for approval. Wherever possible, an Inspector will arrange to visit to discuss the proposals. Tenants must not start work before they have permission in writing.

    Please read our home improvements guide for full details on external and internal improvements, including if you live in a listed building.

    Sheltered Accommodation

    Sheltered housing accommodation is unfurnished properties specially designed or adapted for older people to maintain independent living. We have a number of schemes across the District and housing applicants may be eligible for sheltered housing according to age and needs.

    Our Housing Needs Officers will carry out an assessment of applicants and maintain a waiting list until suitable properties become available. Sheltered housing offers the following:

    • A Scheme Manager living on site
    • Laundry
    • Communal lounge and kitchen
    • Guest bedroom
    • District heating system
    • Concessionary TV licence scheme
    • Organised activities and events

    What does the Scheme Manager do?

    Although the Scheme Manager lives on site they are normally available Monday - Friday 9.00 am until 5.00 pm, this may differ from scheme to scheme. Our mobile wardens are available in an emergency when the Scheme Manager is not on duty.

    They will produce and review support plan based on all tenants individual needs, they will provide advice and support to tenants and develop and facilitate social activities in the scheme. They will not provide personal care such as bathing, getting dressed or preparing and cooking individual meals but depending on their support plan will liaise with relevant agencies.

    Concecessionary TV Licence scheme

    The TV Licensing Authority has agreed a group TV licence for some of our sheltered housing schemes. If you qualify you will pay £7.50 fee each year for your licence. If you are 75 years old or registered blind you will automatically qualify for a free TV licence. Please find the latest concessionary tv licence document from May 2017 here.

  • Handyperson Service Open or Close

    The Derbyshire Handy Van Network is open to people who are 60 and over or who have been referred to us by one of our partner organisations. Our Handy Van person can visit your home to help with the following:

    • Home fire safety checks
    • Checking and fitting smoke alarms
    • Energy efficiency advice
    • Practical tasks

    The service can help with practical tasks such as:

    • Changing light bulbs
    • Removing or hanging curtains
    • Fitting blinds
    • Securing carpets and rugs
    • Fitting key safes and grab rails
    • We can also (with your permission) contact other organisations on your behalf to help you access additional services that may benefit you, for example The British Legion or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

    Unfortunately the service cannot offer an emergency service for plumbing or electrics. If you need help finding a reliable, local company to carry out work at your property Derbyshire County Council can provide details of businesses who have registered on their Trusted Trader Scheme.

    The Handy Van service is available Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, call 0203 5354999 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request a visit. Each household will be able to access this free service twice a year.

  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Open or Close

    Please visit the main page here: Benefits and Council Tax Support


  • Private Sector Housing Open or Close
    Our Private Sector Housing Team deals with all housing which is not owned by the Council.  This includes privately rented accommodation, housing association properties and owner occupied properties (including those being bought through a mortgage).

    Disabled Facilities Grant

    What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

    If you or a person living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to adapt your property to enable the disabled person to live as independently as possible.

    Who can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant? 

    Owner- occupiers, landlords and a wide range of tenants can apply for a DFG. You can apply if you are the disabled person, the landlord of a disabled person, or someone living with a disabled person.

    Private sector tenants require consent from their landlord prior to any works being carried out.

    However, if you are a tenant of Bolsover District Council then any adaptations will be delivered by the Housing Department.

    Do I qualify for a grant?

    The disabled person will need to have an assessment by occupational health at Derbyshire County Council, who will advise us what works are considered necessary and appropriate for your or their needs.  If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.

    If Derbyshire County Council decide that adaptations are required, they will then forward recommendations to us and we will make sure that the works are reasonable and practical for your home.

    What adaptations can be carried out?

    Typical work may include-

    • Providing adequate wash facilities e.g. replacing a bath with a level access shower
    • Adapting heating and lighting controls, e.g. by placing them at wheelchair height
    • Facilitating access into the home or within it to the bathroom or bedroom, e.g. by a stair lift

    How is the grant calculated?

    Applicants must be financially means tested to assess whether you are required to make a contribution towards the works. Any contribution depends on your household income and household savings over £6,000. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

    The maximum grant payable is £30,000.

    There are conditions to the grant which means that the amount of grant may be reclaimed if the property changes hands within the 10 year condition period.  Any repayment will be limited to amounts that exceed £5000, but will not exceed a repayment of £10,000



    How do I apply?

    If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.  If an adaptation is determined as necessary, your case will be referred to the District Council and we will contact you to progress your application.

    If you wish to discuss this in more detail, please contact the Technical Support Team in Environmental Health on 01246 217873


    Housing in Multiple Occupation

    The Public Register of Licensed Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) shows if a landlord has been issued with a HMO Licence for his or her property and the expiry date of the HMO Licence.

    New HMO Licence applications will not appear on the HMO Public Register until they have been processed and issued. Landlords of properties issued with HMO Licences must display a copy of their HMO Licence in a prominent position within the licensed premises.

    Contact us - If you have any queries in relation to an HMO property which has been licensed, or which you feel should be licensed, please contact the Housing and Pollution Team on 01246 217873 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    We are alerting local landlords who manage houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) to important forthcoming HMO property licensing changes.

    From 1st October 2018 all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s) with 5 or more occupiers living as 2 or more households, must have a HMO Licence from their local authority. Where a HMO is occupied by less than 5 people, it will not require a licence.

    The Government have introduced this change to widen out the scope from the previous HMO licensing regime, which only applied to HMO properties of three storeys or above. 

    When assessing a licence application, the Council will consider the suitability and condition of the building for the number of proposed occupiers, as well as the suitability of the proposed licence holder.  Applicants will need to demonstrate that fire safety arrangements are in place and adequate, and that the building has sufficient space and amenities.  A list of required documents (such as current gas safety certificate and electrical installation condition report) will also need to be supplied for the application to be a valid one.

    Landlords of relevant HMO properties must ensure that they submit an application for an HMO licence to the Council.  Applications can be made by contacting the Joint Environmental Health Service for an application form. Guidance on making an application is also available on the Council’s website. There is an initial application fee of £496 with a further fee when the licence is granted of £111 making a total HMO licence fee of £607 (we are under a legal obligation to split the fee). The HMO licence will last for up to 5 years.

    There are significant financial penalties for landlords should applications not be made and if they continue to operate the HMO after 1st October 2018. If landlords do not have a licence, or breach HMO licence conditions, they are committing a criminal offence.

    Landlords of properties who are already licensed under the previous HMO licensing scheme do not need to re-apply until their current HMO licence is close to expiry.

    For further information please contact Joint Environmental Health Service on 01246 217877.

    Landlord Accreditation Scheme (DASH)

    Membership of the scheme is £99 for owners of under 20 properties,  however, Bolsover District residents are able to join FREE of charge and membership will last 3 years. The Scheme is voluntary and open to any residential landlord in the East Midlands region.

    Being a DASH accredited landlord will set you apart from the rest. The scheme will provide public recognition that you are a reputable landlord who not only maintains property standards, but who also treats tenants fairly and manages their properties well.

    Once you are a member to the scheme you will be able to use the DASH logo in adverts and on letterheads to promote yourself giving you an edge above the rest. Also, as an accredited landlord you will have access to training and best practice guidance and be able to take full advantage of the the DASH guidance materials and events to enable them to understand fully property management and how to deal with tenancies in an ever changing environment.

    Amongst the benefits  as a DASH accredited landlord, you will have access to a range of specially discounted services which have been negotiated for you by DASH. For more information on this check out the FAQ page on the DASH website.

    If you wish to become a DASH Accredited Landlord for free, fill in the online form or contact Fiona England on 01332 641111 or via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Rents and Repairs Open or Close


    Council house rents are reviewed annually and the changes comes into effect on the first Monday of April. We are legally obliged to give you 28 days notice of any changes to your rent.

    There is a range of payment options available for you to pay your rent including:

    • Over the internet - this is through our secure payments page.
    • By direct debit (484kb) - this is our preferred method. We currently offer payments every fortnight, 1st, 15th or 27th of the month or on the last Friday of the month and from April 2015 we will be introducing weekly direct debits.
    • Telephone - please ring 0300 4560503 at any time to connect to our automated telephone payment system. You will need a touch tone telephone and your reference number and debit card details. Or you can ring during office hours where our Contact Centre advisors will be able to take a payment from you.
    • In person - at any of our Contact Centres by cash, cheque or debit card. Please note we do not accept Credit Cards.
    • By Rent Collector - we have a team of Rent Collectors who can collect your rent on a fortnightly basis, they can only take cash and cheque payments.
    • By post - cheques should be made payable to Bolsover District Council and posted to Bolsover District Council, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, Derbyshire S43 4JY. Please write your reference number on the back of the cheque so that we can process your payment. Cash should not be sent through the post

    Please contact the Tenancy Management Officer at your local Contact Centre to discuss these options.

    Please see our Rents FAQ for further details on when do you pay, what to do if you are in credit, if you owe rent and how the rental income is spent. 


    We spend significant amounts of money repairing and improving our housing stock and we aim to deliver a high quality customer focused repair and maintenance service which carries out repairs quickly and efficiently and keeps our properties in a good state of repair.

    We set ourselves key aims and objectives to do this, including providing a reliable day-to-day repairs service, repairing empty properties before new tenants move in, developing standards for the service in line with customer's wishes, carrying out regular servicing of heating systems excluding electric and ensuring our tradesmen are qualfied and trained to a high standard.

    Our repairs team also includes a number of inspectors and our own team of workers, but please note that some work is carried out by contractors on our behalf. We also follow the Government's Right to Repair scheme that makes sure that certain small urgent repairs which might affect tenants' health, safety or security, are done quickly and easily. You can also report a repair on-line via our repair reporting system that takes you through the process of reporting your repair step by step; by Facebook or Twitter.

    More detailed information can be found in our Repairs Handbook that is issued to every tenant when they sign their tenancy agreement or in our Rechargeable Repairs Policy (207kb).


  • Right to Buy Open or Close

    Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount. 

    You can get a discount on the market value of your home when you buy it if you qualify for Right to Buy. The maximum discount is £80,900 across England, except in London boroughs where it’s £108,000. It will increase each year in April in line with the consumer price index (CPI).

    The discount is based on:

    • how long you’ve been a tenant with a public sector landlord
    • the type of property you’re buying - a flat or house
    • the value of your home

    If you’re buying with someone else, you count the years of whoever’s been a public sector tenant the longest. You will usually have to repay some or all your discount if you sell your home within 5 years. You might get a smaller discount if you’ve used Right to Buy in the past. Find our more from the Gov.uk website.

  • Services For Older And Vulnerable People Open or Close


    Bolsover Careline is an emergency community alarm service that allows people to live independently whilst having access to help in the event of an emergency. The service offers peace of mind that you will always be in touch - just at the press of a button, 24 hours a day every day.

    The units are available on lease only. Careline is provided by us for our tenants and residents.

    The careline alarm system is an alarm unit you plug into your exisiting telephone socket, it comes with a pendant which is worn around your neck, or can be clipped to a belt.

    In the event of an emergency you can easily activiate the alarm which will put a call thorugh to our control centre. The call will be answered by one of our trained staff who will assess your situation and then offer advice and take the necessary action to help you.

    There are two kinds of alarm service:

    • Gold - this service offers a weekly or monthly visit (depending on medical need) by one of our Mobile Wardens. If the alarm is activated and we cannot make contact with you a mobile warden will visit your home and take the necessary action. The cost for this service is £4.90 per week + £1.95 lease of the unit.

    • Bronze - this is a monitor only service where you will have to provide as many contact details as possible of people you would like us to contact in the event of you activating the alarm. We can also call the emergency services for you if needed. The cost for this service is £2.50 per week + £1.95 lease of the unit. 

    Installing an alarm

    All alarms are usually fitted within 24 hours of receiving your application. All you need is a modern push telephone socket and a 3-pin power socket nearby. The system is always demonstrated and tested before we leave your home. If you need further assiastance please contact us and we will arrange for one of our Mobile Wardens to visit you and your family at your home.


    We provide a comprehensive aids and adaptations service which is invaluable in enabling us to help our elderly and disabled tenants to continue living independently in their own home. All initial applications for adaptations should be directed through Call Derbyshire, who will ensure your enquiry is directed to the Disability Team for assessment. 

    Aids and adaptations we commonly fit in the homes of elderly and disabled tenants include:

    • Grab rails

    • Half steps 

    • Outdoor handrails

    • Stair lifts 

    • Over bath showers

    • Stair rails

    • Wet rooms

    • Wheel chair ramps

    • Lever handled taps 

    • Solid fuel heating to gas 

    There is a high demand for adaptations to Council property and once your referral is received you will go on a waiting list for the works, we will contact you once the adaptations have been ordered. 


    No one likes to feel vulnerable in their own home, but for those who are older, infirm or disabled and becoming progressively less stable, it is a daily reality. Telecare is a practical way to keep help close at hand and knowing that help is available brings reassurance and peace of mind.

    For some people it means they are able to stay in their homes for as long as they want to or take part in activities they might not have felt able to before.

    Telecare can benefit older people and other adults with long-term conditions, those at risk from harm, especially those who:

    • have dementia, or memory loss which means they wander or are unable to deal with risk in their homes such as fire, flood and gas

    • are becoming increasingly frail and are at risk of falling 

    • are struggling to cope at home and may be regularly admitted to hospital. 

    Telecare can help if you are worried about:

    • your safety at home

    • the consequences of falling 

    • becoming forgetful 

    Telecare can be of great peace of mind and family members especially if they do not live with you. Telecare means that instead of frequent and regular visits or calls to make sure all is well, you can rest assured that they will be notified if there is a problem.

  • Social Housing Open or Close

    Landlord Accreditation Scheme

    We have signed up to become partners to the East Midlands Landlord Accreditation Scheme (EMLAS). The scheme is the first regional accreditation scheme, outside of London, to recognise the abilities of the landlord and not just the property standards.

    Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

    The definition of House in Multiple Occupation has changed under the Housing Act 2004. The definition is quite complex, but in essence includes buildings that are occupied by persons who do not form a single household, where there is a degree of sharing of facilities.

    HMO Licensing

    Following the Housing Act 2004, landlords of HMO's which are three storeys or more and are occupied by five people or more will need to apply to the Council for a licence. It is now an offence to operate a licensable HMO without a licence for which there are heavy penalties or conviction.

    Energy Efficiency in Rented Properties

    Landlords need to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) prior to the start of any new tenancy. A copy of this certificate needs to be supplied to any new tenant free of charge. This does not apply to existing tenants.

    The EPC must be produced by an accredited assessor & should show the estimated running costs and the estimated carbon emissions from the property. The rating on the certificate is on a scale of A - G similar to those used for electrical appliances. The rating should also be accompanied by a recommendation report detailing how to improve the property's energy efficiency. Each EPC for the domestic rental sector should last for roughly 10 years, although landlordsare encouraged to update them more often if they have refuebished a a proprty & upgraded it's thermal efficiency.

    It is believed higher ratings could give landlords a marketing advantage as prospective tenants will be able to compare properties againsteach other and choose one where they will benefit from lower fuel bills. The Enforcement of EPC's will be carried out by Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards, the Environmental Health section will promote the legislation amongst both landlords and tenants.

    Housing Associations

    We have a number of Housing Associations who have properties for rent in the District. These include:

    Acis Group
    Derwent Living East Midlands Housing Association Riverside Housing 21

    ASRA Housing Group

    Guiness Partnership Trident Housing Derbyshire County Council Supporting People Action Housing Easy Room Mate  




Housing Advice and Support

  • Affordable Housing Open or Close

    Share Ownership and Help to Buy Schemes

    If you cannot afford to buy a home outright you may be able to get some financial help through a shared ownership scheme or Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme.  For more information on any of these schemes contact your local Help to Buy agent, Help to Buy Midlands, through the Help to Buy website at www.orbit.org.uk, or telephone 03458 50 20 50 select option 2, or  via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


  • Asylum Seekers Open or Close

    An asylum seeker is someone who comes to the UK, often fleeing persecution, torture or war and applies for refugee status.  Until refugee status is granted, such a person remains an asylum seeker.  Asylum seekers often encounter difficulty in obtaining accommodation.

    Bolsover District Council has no duty to provide accommodation for asylum seekers. 

    For further information please see the Home Office Border Agency

    Useful Links:

  • Domestic Violence Open or Close

    Domestic violence and abuse affects thousands of people from all different backgrounds. It does not matter whether you are young or old, if you are religious or not, whether you are male or female, if you are from a different country or a different culture, whether you are a traveller, whether you are employed or unemployed and it does not matter about your sexuality.

    If you need help and guidance please telephone the Domestic Violence Outreach and IDVA service:  01246 593063. 

    For further information see the Community Safety and Emergencies web page.  

    Other Useful Links:




  • Homelessness Open or Close

    If you are homeless now, or are threatened with being made homeless we can provide help and assistance.  This can be done in person, by telephoning 01246 242424  or by emailing the Housing Needs Officers at your local Contact Centre.

    You will be interviewed by an experienced officer who will conduct an initial assessment of your housing needs. This officer will be your point of contact throughout your application and will work with you and other agencies to try and resolve your housing situation.  The Homelessness Application document here will give you more information on the homelessness process and provide details of the necessary documents you will need to bring with you to an interview.

    We may also be able to help with problems such as  harassment and illegal eviction eviction or domestic violence  and can put you in touch with other agencies that offer support and advice.

    The Housing Needs team can also help people who are sleeping rough during the freezing weather.

    Under normal circumstances the council has to assess if a person is deemed to be homeless under set criteria – but this is suspended when temperatures fall below zero for three consecutive nights and the council can offer emergency shelter, for help telephone 01246 242424 or contact the Out of Hours Service if the Council is closed.

    For more information on sleeping rough please visit the Streetlink website. 

    Out Of Hours Service 

    Call Derbyshire is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire, if you require assistance when the Council is closed you can contact this team on:

    0845 6058058 or 01629 532600. 


  • Local Authority Mortgage Scheme (LAMS) Open or Close

    The scheme is aimed at first time buyers only who can afford mortgage payments but not the initial deposit.

    The Local Authority can provide a mortgage deposit bond guarantee. A top-up indemnity to the value of the difference between a lower loan-to-value (LTV) mortgage (i.e. 75% - requiring a 25% deposit) and a 95% LTV mortgage. The potential buyer will thereby obtain a 95% mortgage on similar terms as a 75% mortgage, but without the need to provide the substantial deposit usually required.

    In addition to meeting the mortgage application criteria required by Leek United Building Society, applicants must also comply with the Authority's local criteria:

    • Maximum property value in North East Derbyshire District Council area of £175,000 and in Bolsover District Council area of £150,000.
    • Property must be located within North East Derbyshire district Bolsover district.

    Further information or enquiries please see the Leek United Building Society website. Or alternatively customers can call into their local Leek United branch or call the Society at the Head Office on 01538 380047 or at the Derby Branch on 01332 344708. Please see the attached factsheet for additional information.

  • Money Advice Open or Close

    Basic bank accounts

    Basic bank accounts are aimed at giving everyone access to banking facilities.  They are a basic, no frills account and are available from all major banks.

    If you don’t currently have a bank account or, if you are not able to get a standard current account, you should look into basic bank accounts as an option.  For further information please view the attached PDF and visit the Money Advice Service website.

    Mortgage Difficulties

    Anyone can get into mortgage difficulties, and it can happen for many reasons, for example:

    •          Unemployment
    •          Illness
    •          An increase in mortgage rates
    •          Family breakdown/Separation
    •          The arrival of a new baby
    •          The loss of overtime - and several others. 

    If you start to get into mortgage arrears do not panic; but do recognise that it will not just go away, and you need to take action as soon as possible by contacting the lender, Citizens Advice Bureau or the Law Centre.If you live in the District of North East Derbyshire and have a problem paying your mortgage and you want to talk to someone about how to prevent losing your home, you can Contact the Housing Options team or the following organisations; 

    NE Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau  telephone 0300 4568437   

    Derbyshire Law Centre  telephone: 01246 550674 or Freephone 0800 7076990   

    Don't get bitten by a loan shark!

    Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders. If you have financial problems do not borrow from a loan shark.You can get free financial advice in confidence from North Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau and Derbyshire Law Centre.  They can help you re-organise your debts and contact your creditors to make reasonable offers that you can afford.

    For more information visit the Stop Loan Sharks website www.stoploansharks.co.uk  or to report a loan shark you can telephone: 0300 555 2222.

    Alternatively you can contact your local Public Protection Project Team, telephone: 01332 644 000.

    These agencies will help you for free and will be in strict confidence.

    Loan sharks will take your money over and over again!

  • Moving On Support Open or Close

    Rocket Fuel - Top Tips for Moving On, which the PDF version is available to download, is a guide for people in supported accommodation moving to longer term or permanent homes.  It provides useful information and tips for moving-on.

    If you are currently living in supported accommodation then you may be eligible to access accommodation under the Move-on Protocol.  Ask your support worker for more details.  You and your support worker will first need to complete a MOP form, and then a R2M form when you are ready to move-on to your own accommodation. 

  • Out of Hours Service Open or Close

    If you are homeless or need emergency housing and the Council is closed then contact Call Derbyshire which is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire. 

    The team will be available between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday and 24 hours per day during weekends and bank holidays. 

    Call Derbyshire contact details; telephone 0845 6058058 or 01629 532600  

    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Private Housing Advice Open or Close

     Renting a home from a private landlord or agent is a good housing solution and very flexible.  Often this is the first accommodation people live in once they leave home.

    The private rented market is very varied and the standard of accommodation and management can also differ greatly. We can give you guidance on the legal standards for private rented housing, advice on how to go about letting or renting a property and what to do if you have problems. We have a range of powers that can be used to ensure properties are safe and well managed and tenants are free from harassment and nuisance.

    We can offer advice and guidance for people who are or are thinking about becoming private tenants, download the Private Renting for Tenants PDF for further guidance. 

    If you currently live in a privately rented property and live in Shirebrook / Langwith and you feel your property isn't up to standard or need free advice, then contact us here This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   

    Free private rental advice leaflet (English) (Polish)(Romanian)

    Harassment and Illegal Eviction

    We can assist people who are threatened with harassment and eviction and can offer advice on illegal eviction and private tenancies.

    Harassment and illegal eviction of tenants is a criminal offence, prosecuted by local authorities and the only way a tenant can be made to leave their property is via a court order.

    A person found guilty of harassment or illegal eviction faces a maximum fine of 5,000 pounds or up to 6 months in prison.  They will also have a criminal record.

    Tenants can also take civil action and may win thousands of pounds in compensation.

    If you are suffering harassment or illegal eviction, you should contact:

    Housing Health and Safety Rating System - HHSRS

    The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is used to assess potential risks to the health and safety of occupants in residential properties.

    The assessment method focuses on the hazards that are most likely to be present in housing, tackling these hazards will make homes healthier and safer to live in.

    Full information on HHSRS can be found on the Decent and Safe Homes (DASH) website. The Government has also issued guidance on HHSRS for landlords and other property related professionals. 

    Park homes, mobile homes and caravans

    Caravan sites may be residential, holiday or touring sites and if you use land as a caravan site you will almost always need to get planning permission and a site licence from us.

    Gypsies and Travellers

     There is one transit site located within the District at Pleasley. The site is licensed by us but is privately owned.

    When dealing with gypsy and traveller issues we follow the Inter Agency Guidance (426kb) to ensure that all services are delivered fairly to gypsies and travellers in compliance with the law, government guidance and local authorities equalities policies.

    Dealing with illegal encampments

    We are only able to evict Gypsies/Travellers off Council owned land. If the Gypsies/Travellers are causing problems they will be moved on as soon as is possible and reasonable. It normally takes approximately three weeks to gather the relevant information and obtain a court hearing date. The Court can refuse to grant us an order to move the Gypsies/Travellers on if it believes there is an unavoidable reason for the Gypsies/Travellers to stay on the site or if the Court believes that we have failed to make adequate enquiries regarding the general health and welfare of the Gypsies/Travellers. Please report any illegal encampments to us immediately.

    Dealing with illegal encampments on other land

    If the encampment is on land not owned by us, then the landowner, if possible, should talk to the travellers to try and gauge how long they will be there. The landowner can also take proceedings in the County Court under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 to obtain a Court Order for their eviction. There must be a minimum of two clear days between service of documents and the Court hearing.

    Any decision by the landowner to allow the travellers to stay on site must be undertaken with the correct planning permissions and licensing. Any breach of these permissions will result in us taking action against the landowner.

    Useful Contacts:

    Derbyshire County Council: 01629-580000 extension 7384

    Derbyshire County Council Traveller Liason Officer 01629 538466

    Derbyshire Police: 101 - non-emergency number

    More Information can be found on the following websites; 

    Friends, Families & Travellers

    Derbyshire Gypsy Liason Group

    Department for Communities and Local Government


Housing Strategy

  • Disabled People Housing Needs Open or Close

    The Disabled People’s Housing Needs Study examines the housing needs of people with physical disabilities in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. It was undertaken by Ecorys and ConsultCIH on behalf of fifteen local authorities. The aims of the study are:  

    • To better understand how to meet the housing needs of people with physical disabilities.
    • To better understand the means by which appropriate housing for disabled people can be delivered.
    • To obtain a good evidence base for the development of housing for disabled people. 

    The focus of the research is on the physical structure and facilities rather than support and care issues. 

    Key Findings for Bolsover district

    • There are significant and increasing numbers of disabled people with housing needs in Bolsover, including older people, working age residents and families with children.
    • There is substantial excess demand for appropriate accommodation compared to year on year supply.

    • The information about existing suitable housing stock in all tenures is inadequate and ways to improve information, including from the private sector, should be explored.
    • The over 65 population will increase in the short, medium and long term and the over 85 population will increase in the long term, significantly increasing the need for housing for disabled people.
    • An estimated 2.7% of Bolsover’s social housing stock is of wheelchair standard. However, the understanding of 'wheelchair standard' is not clear.  Anecdotally, there a less than five housing association properties which are to full standard suitable for people who use their wheelchairs indoors, as well as out of door. There are currently around 99 households with wheelchair requirements whose needs are not met, a figure increasing to 114 by 2033.
    • A significant number of disabled people will be looking to social housing to meet their needs, although there are still many who may be able to afford to buy a suitable property.
    • There are very limited to no facilities in supported accommodation (non-elderly) for wheelchair users, and normally communal areas are not fully accessible.

    For more information see the attached report.  


  • Homelessness Strategy Open or Close

    The North Derbyshire Homelessness Strategy is a joint strategy between Bolsover District Council, North East Derbyshire District Council and Chesterfield Borough Councill and was developed with the intention of preventing and addressing homelessness across North Derbyshire.

    From the Strategy the North Derbyshire Homelessness Forum, a body made up of many statutory and voluntary agencies will be set up to work together to prevent and tackle homelessness.

    Over the coming five years of this strategy we will continue to put our energy and resources into preventing homelessness.  This commitment has local people at its heart and we will work closely with our partners to continue improving the standard of accommodation and to achieving a truly Gold Standard Homelessness Service.

    Please see our Homelessness Strategy here and Homelessness Strategy EIA

  • Housing and Economic Development Strategy Open or Close

    Housing and Economic Development Strategy 2015 - 2020

    The council has previously had separate strategies for Economic Development and Housing but has decided to deliver a joint Strategy in recognition of the council's key priority to deliver growth in the district as part of its recently launched Growth Strategy.  

    The Strategy and Executive Summary can be found at the top of this page to download.  

    The joint strategy recognises that new jobs, new businesses and new housing are essential elements in creating an economically vibrant place where all people want to live and work.

    The proposed 8 objectives outlined in the strategy have been identified to tackle the challenges and opportunities facing the district over the next 5 years. 

    The eight objectives are:

    1. Supporting enterprise: maintaining and growing the business base

    2. Maximise employment, skills and training opportunities

    3. Enable housing growth

    4. Unlock development potential: unlocking the capacity of major employment sites

    5. Enable town centre development

    6. Develop the rural economy

    7. Enable people to live in and sustain their own homes

    8. Prevent and reduce homelessness

    You can veiw the Strategy here and Strategy Summary here.

    If you would like to discuss the Strategy in more detail, please contact the Housing Strategy or Economic Development Team. 

  • Housing Market Area Open or Close

    What is the Housing Market Area?

    In 2005, a report for the East Midlands Regional Assembly and the Regional Housing Board identified Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield and Bassetlaw as a Housing Market Area (ND&B HMA).

    It was recognised that these four authorities face many similar issues and are joined by the common factor that their housing markets are all influenced by the major urban areas of Sheffield and Rotherham, located across the regional border.

    The Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA)

    The North Derbyshire and Bassetlaw SHMA has been prepared by GL Hearn Limited and it considers future housing need in the HMA over the period to 2031.  

    It considers how many homes and what type are needed, both market and affordable, as well as what housing is required to meet the needs of specific groups within the population including older people and those with disabilities.

    The Bolsover report is attached in PDF format. 

    SHMA Bolsover report. 



  • Housing Needs Survey Open or Close

     We have carried out a series of Housing Needs Surveys in partnership with Chesterfield Borough Council, Bassetlaw District Council and North East Derbyshire District Council.

    This research was undertaken to build on the current information held by the Authorities and to identify specific housing needs and aspirations of people within these particular groups.  The information collected is used to develop appropriate housing strategies and ensure that the needs of people with chaotic lifestyles are accounted for during strategic planning.

    Click on the links below to see the Housing Needs surveys.

    Housing Needs Study of Older People

    Housing Needs Study for the Black and Minority Ethnic

    Housing Needs Study of Young People

    Housing Needs Study of those with Chaotic Lifestyles - Complex Needs

  • Long Term Housing Regeneration Strategy Open or Close


    A new council house development launch in Creswell has marked the start of a four-year housing partnership in Bolsover District.

    We entered into the house building partnership with Robert Woodhead Ltd. earlier this year. Titled B@Home, the Partnership, which was procured through the Efficiency East Midlands (EEM), New Build Developer Framework will deliver over 100 high quality, energy efficient homes, over the four year period.

    The launch saw the first sod being cut at Rogers Avenue, Creswell to signify the start of the project, which will not only create council houses, but will see many other benefits such as 200 training events and more than 50 work experience and apprentice opportunities for local people and businesses.

    The first phase of the development, starting at Rogers Avenue will see 7 dwellings built.

    Other developments including 25 dwellings will be spread over four other sites:

    • Fir Close, Shirebrook 
    • Derwent Drive, Tibshelf 
    • Blackwell Hotel, Blackwell 
    • Recreation Close, Clowne

    Community-Led Regeneration

    We are looking to shape the future of our District and commissioned a community-led district wide regeneration.

    Led by consultants Bauman Lyons Architects, the work primarily focused on the four towns, but also included the wider settlements and areas of interest such as Creswell Crags. It will help identify the strengths and build upon them, but also look at areas that need improving.

    We have now produced four frameworks for our main towns which include surrounding villages and hamlets.

    Please see the Regeneration Pages for further details.

  • Tenancy Participation Open or Close

    Tenant Participation is all about you! It’s about you and what you think! It's a two way process involving sharing of information and ideas, where council tenants are able to influence our policies and decisions and take part in consultation about the housing service.

    We recognise that our services can be improved by talking to the people that use them and as tenants are customers of our housing service, we feel they are the best people to inform us of how the service affects them, what they like and dislike and how things could be changed or improved. By working together, both tenant and landlord can come up with ideas, which make a better quality service.

    Our tenants have been working closely with us for a number of years and have already had a lot of successes, including:

    • Working with councillors and staff to review the future of Council Housing
    • Taking part in a review of the Tenant Compact
    • Being involved in Challenge days to review the Repairs Service
    • Setting standards for empty properties
    • Producing a newsletter for Tenants called Homing In
    • Working with housing staff to produce the Repairs Handbook

    If you would like to get involved then please contact us so we can talk you through the various alternatives that are available to you.

  • Tenancy Strategy Open or Close

     Every Local Housing Authority was required under The Localism Act 2011 to have a tenancy strategy in place by January 2013.

    Through the adoption of the Localism Act the Government introduced a range of new tenure options, including fixed term flexible tenancies and also a new power enabling local authorities to discharge their statutory homelessness duty into the private rented sector.

    Tenancy Strategies are designed to provide a framework and guidance on policies relating to tenure options, succession, allocations and how registered providers should use the changes when granting tenancies in local authority areas. Registered providers of affordable homes are required to have due regard to the tenancy strategies of the local authority areas in which they operate.

    The Council’s Tenancy Strategy is attached

  • Younger People's Housing Open or Close

    Housing Ambition

    Housing Ambition is a project covering Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield and Derbyshire Dales Local Authority areas, funded by the Department of Communities and Local Government. 

    The project has been set up to create a positive pathway into, through and between accommodation for young people (aged 16 – 24) in housing need. 

    Mediation Service

    Mediation is used to help people to resolve / work out conflict within their housing and prevent people becoming homeless.

    The Ambition team also offers a mediation service which is completely impartial (not on anyone’s side) and do not judge.  The aim of the service is to help you find a solution that is acceptable to all the people involved.

    For further information and advice on young people's housing please see Housing Ambition or contact Jo Hayes
    North Derbyshire Housing Ambition Co-ordinator This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

    If you are Homelessness please contact the Housing Needs Team now; telephone 01246 242424 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   


Outdoor recreation

  • Allotments Open or Close

    Renting an allotment can be a great way to grow your own organic produce, enjoy the open air and get regular exercise. 

    We have 8 allotments which we own:

    1. Waterloo Street, Bramley Vale
    2. King Street, Clowne
    3. Portland Avenue, Creswell
    4. Whaley Common, Langwith
    5. Burlington Avenue, Langwith Junction
    6. Hill Crest, Shirebrook
    7. Moorfield Lane, Whaley Thorns

    The Parish/Town Council's also have a number of allotments that they rent out. To apply for a tenancy agreement, please contact the relevant Parish Clerk.

  • Country Parks Open or Close

    Country Parks offer a place for people to enjoy the great outdoors in a pleasant and natural environment. So if you want to enjoy a leisurely stroll or a picnic with the family, why not check out our Country Parks:

    • Pleasley Pit Country Park
    • Poulter Country Park

    There are also a variety of other Country Parks in Derbyshire for you to explore and enjoy.

    Pleasley Pit Country Park

    Pleasley Pit Country Park as its name suggests, is a reclaimed colliery site. It now offers opportunities for nature lovers to see record numbers of different species. The park contains a wide variety of habitats including wetland, grassland, plantations and open water.

    A bird hide overlooks the large pond and is available for visitors to use. Birds you may see on your visit include Mute Swans, Mallards, Moorhens, Coots and a variety of waders.

    Several smaller ponds provide an ideal habitat for dragonflies and damselflies and a record 18 species of dragonfly have been recorded. The magnesium limestone grasslands support several orchid species including Bee orchid and Common spotted orchid.

    A regular programme of guided walks looking at wildlife in the park is organised by the Pleasley Pit Nature Study Group. Much of the country park is on level ground with surfaced tracks for easier access. The park links to Rowthorne and Pleasley trails suitable for walking, cycling and horseriding.

    In dramatic contrast to the country park you will see the remaining pit buildings which are now a Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM). There is currently only footpath access from Pit lane, Chesterfield Road, Pleasley Trails network and Long Hedge Lane Bridleway and off the A617 Chesterfield Road opposite New Houghton village.

    Poulter Country Park

    Visitors to Poulter Country Park can enjoy well surfaced limestone paths that meander through maturing plantations and wildflower meadows. Skylarks and Sparrowhawk are often spotted here and if you are lucky you may see the Wellback Honey Buzzard.

    There are two waymarked trails around the park. One takes you up to the viewpoint from where you can enjoy views across the surrounding countryside to Creswell, Langwith, Clowne and on a clear day over the Wellbeck estate to Lincoln Cathedral. 

    The second path takes you down to the nature reserve area with its small fields that are full of cowslips in the spring.

    Adjacent to the main Whaley Road car park are two ponds that attract many species of dragonfly, including the Emperor dragonfly and Black-tailed Skimmer. The park is easily accessible by train from the Robin Hood Line and links to the Archaeological Way and the Meden Valley Walks.

    There are two car parks off Whaley Road between Whaley village and Langwith. The main car park is at the Langwith end and there is a small car park for the Country Park and the Archaeological Way at the Whaley end.

  • Cycling Open or Close

    For a comprehensive trails listing in the area and throughout Derbyshire please visit the Peak District and Derbyshire website. The trails allow you to explore the countryside by foot, bicycle or horse, with many of them following disused railway lines, so providing easy walking and riding, and offering access for all ages and abilities.

    The district also boasts a wealth of county lanes perfect for cycling on, you could even join the local Bolsover and District Cycling Club.

  • Fishing Open or Close

    We have a number of ponds in the District where you can go and fish. These are listed below:

  • Footpaths and Public Rights of Way Open or Close

    Footpaths and Rights of Way are dealt with by Derbyshire County Council. They are legally obliged to protect and assert your rights to use the Rights of Way Network and to update the Definitive Map and Statement (the legal record of Rights of Way for the county). 

    They deal with disputed routes, obstructions to paths, signing paths from roads, path maintenance, path structures (bridges, gates and stiles) and promoting the use of the network.

     As a district council we are responsible for the diversion of footpaths, please find the application form to do so here and guidance notes.

  • Jogging Open or Close

    Jog Derbyshire is an established network of community based jogging groups through which anyone who is new to jogging, or has not run for a long time can be guided through a series of gentle walking and jogging programmes led by a qualified Jog Leader.  There are several jogging networks already established in Bolsover District, with new groups emerging all the time.  For more information go to http://www.derbyshiresport.co.uk/jog-derbyshire

  • Parks and Recreation Grounds Open or Close

    There are many parks, playgrounds and recreation grounds throughout the district. Some are council owned, others are parish or town council owned. 

    All are free to use and have excellent facilities. The playgrounds we maintain are checked every month that they are in a good, safe condition. Please contact us if you find any problems with one of our areas.

    You can view our parks and playgrounds by clicking on the Find My.. button at the top of this page.

  • Pleasley Vale Outdoor Activity Centre Open or Close

    What can I do at Pleasley Vale Outdoor Activity Centre

    Most of the adventurous activities are staged for the local communities and often targeted and specialist intervention programmes which are highly respected.

    We can cater for almost any size of group and offers a range of adventure and team building activities including:


    Kayaking  Orienteering   Raft building Abseiling Climbing Caving
    Archery Bush craft  Bellboating Problem solving Mountain biking Team building

    Forest schools/skills

    We can offer traditional adventurous activities off the shelf, but mainly prides ourself on bespoke programmes designed around the customer needs. Such areas include:

    Diversionary programmes

    Corporate programmes

    Health initiatives Team building programmes
    Birthday parties Youth initiatives

    Inclusion initiative

    Have a  group of friends, family or an organisation which would like to have an activity session for themselves. Then we have sessions available to hire on Saturday afternoons (from May to September), and on evenings and mid week throughout the year.

    • From as little as £4.13 per person per hour (based on a group of eight)

    If you are interested in bringing a group or coming as an individual to Pleasley Vale Outdoor Activity Centre and would like further information please contact  us on 01623 812530 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and ask for Colin Matchett (Centre Manager)

    Adventure Days

    Looking for an adventure then why not come down on a Saturday from 10am until 1pm where you can have the chance to do all sorts of activities.

    • Cost - £7 for under 18 and £7 for over 18's, payment on the day (please ensure correct change)
    • What do you need to bring - clothes you don't mind getting messy and wet + and complete change of clothes including shoes. A snack and a drink.
    • Consent form This must be brought with you on you on your first visit.
    • To book a place This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. by the Thursday (at the latest) prior to your intended visit and we will email confirmation of place. Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment, the centre reserves the right to refuse bookings from anyone who fails to attend a previous booking without just cause.
    • Site Map


  • Walking Open or Close

    There are many fantastic trails throughout the district, some easy going low level walks, to nature reserves and woodland. There are footpaths suitable for all ages and abilities with breathtaking views to be had. When visiting our area don't forget to snap the countryside, public houses and other features which can be sent to us to share on our social media accounts using the hashtag #bolsoverdc

    For a comprehensive trails listing in the area and throughout Derbyshire please visit the Peak District and Derbyshire website. The trails allow you to explore the countryside by foot, bicycle or horse, with many of them following disused railway lines, so providing easy walking and riding, and offering access for all ages and abilities. The following locations offer trails for horseriding and walking:

    Five Pits Trail provides an off-road surfaced route for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. It is a 5 and a half mile linear route linking Grassmoor Country Park to Tibshelf Ponds, passing mainly through agricultural and woodland landscapes. The trail can be extended to 7 and a half miles, by following the route through to Williamthorpe Ponds and Holmewood Woodlands. The Five Pits Trail was completed by us in 1989. It was based upon a Great Central Railway route which served the five main collieries of Grassmoor, Williamthorpe, Holmewood, Pilsley and Tibshelf. The landscape is now undulating throughout with a number of long steep slopes. Trail entrances are considered to be accessible for disabled people but surface conditions and some steep slopes may limit people's access to some sections.

    Blackwell Trail is a short 1.5 mile stretch of multi-user trail for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. The Blackwell Trail is part of the Phoenix Greenways which are a network of trails that run through Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.  This short trail has footpath links to Brierley Forest Park and nearby Blackwell Village.

    Glapwell Countryside Site was reclaimed in the 1980s and now boasts a range of facilities. These include: Stockley ponds, angling with disabled pegs, access to the Doe Lea Local Nature Reserve and the southern end of the Stockley Trail, and woodlands.

    Newton Link is located on the edge of the village of Newton and is an area of open grassland.  There is a surfaced path from the road for part of the route, the remainder is a mown grass path. This is a popular local route and is a short distance from Tibshelf Ponds at the south end of the Five Pits Trail.

    Peter Fidler Reserve is situated alongside the Stockley Trail at Carr Vale, on the former Bolsover Colliery South Tip. The site contains a variety of wildlife habitats which can be visited and offers good views of the adjacent Derbyshire Wildlife Trust's Carr Vale Nature Reserve. The site has been dedicated to the memory of Peter Fidler who was born in 1769 at Mill Farm, next to the former colliery site. Peter Fidler was a famous North American explorer and chief surveyor of the Hudson Bay Company in Canada. A commemorative stone cairn on the reserve is similar to his memorial at Dauphin in Canada.

    Pinxton Canal Path is a footpath along an in-filled stretch of the Pinxton branch of the Cromford Canal. A footpath that runs along the in-filled Pinxton branch of the Cromford Canal from near Codnor Park Reservoir at Ironville to north of Main Road at Pye Bridge. A former iron works pond adjacent to the path near Pye Bridge has been restored and is a Local Wildlife Site for its aquatic interests. When the opencast coal site to the north of Pye Bridge is restored there will be paths linking through to the original terminus of the branch at Pinxton Wharf.

    Rowthorne and Pleasley Trails run through both Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and are relics of the area's industrial past, being remnants of railway lines that served the coal mining activities of the region. Now reclaimed by human activity and natural regeneration, the trails offer opportunities for walking, cycling and horse riding. The trails pass through Local Nature Reserve (LNR) habitats of great wildlife value, such as mature Oak and Ash woodlands, wildflower meadows, limestone grassland terraces and pools and wetlands.

    Rowthorne Trail can be accessed via Rowthorne Lane at the northern end of the trail. At the southern end the trail links into the Pleasley/Teversal Trails network at Batley Lane, where there are steps and a steep ramp down to the road. The trails are pedestrian access only, unsurfaced in places, with some steep slopes and steps. The steep embankments of this disused railway provide excellent habitats for a wide range of limestone loving plants, whilst some areas are developing as Oak woodland. Wetter areas at the foot of the embankment and a small streamside meadow provide valuable habitats for plants, grass snakes, butterflies and moths.

    Stockley Trail is a two mile multi-user trail for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. The trail runs parallel to the River Doe Lea from Carr Vale, near Bolsover to Glapwell. A car park is situated off the A632 at the bottom of Bolsover Hill. At Stockley Ponds, off the A617 by Ma Hubbards public house, there is fishing (Glapwell Angling Club) and countryside walks on the former Glapwell colliery site.

    Tibshelf Ponds provide several opportunities for short walks around the ponds, through the extensive wildflower rich meadows and woodlands. A number of access routes have been created to allow you to explore the woods. The predominately Oak and Silver Birch woodlands throughout the site have matured well and now provide good habitat for a variety of birds including several members of the finch and tit families. These woodlands are now undergoing woodland management which includes thinning and coppicing.


Planning development and building control

  • Building Control Open or Close
  • Custom and Self Build Open or Close

     We are seeking enthusiastic individuals, families and groups who want to build their own homes.

    Custom and Self-Build pro's and con's

    We have a list of suitable land to develop and a register of individuals and groups interested in building their own homes. We want to see a range of property types taking shape across the District. You may want to specialise in an eco-friendly property, look at “container” housing or consider a timber house kit. We are also encouraging projects of several properties being constructed together by local community groups. Non-traditional house building can be cheaper than traditional construction. Have a look at what best suits your pocket and your aspirations.

    There are 2 main types of construction in this concept: -   Custom and Self-Build.

    1. Custom Build— tends to be where you design your home with a specialist developer who then builds it. This can also include the developer building the “shell” up to say a watertight stage for you to then do all the internal work yourself.
    2. Self-Build—tends to be an individual or group completing a majority of the building work from the ground up, sometimes specialists are brought into complete jobs such as electrical or plastering work.

    Cost considerations

    There are a lot of things to think about when building your own home!   The options may be intimidating at first glance, but it is actually fairly straightforward when you take all the planning and design factors into consideration.


    Self-building is an adventure dictated by your own constraints. There is no denying that there will be challenges, frustrations and a lot of excitement along the way. We have yet to hear of anybody who has regretted their decision to self-build.

    Support websites

    Most of the common issues experienced by people building their own home can be avoided by working with an experienced architectural designer and qualified construction contractor. Whatever skills you have and whichever route you follow, building your own home can be an amazing experience.

    Mortgage advice on custom and self build

    For more information / an informal chat or to register your interest, please complete the registration document and send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. 







  • Heritage Conservation Open or Close

    Conservation Areas

    Conservation areas are those parts of the District which have been recognised as having a special architectural or historic interest which is worthy of preservation and enhancement.

    When considering planning applications for developments within them, a duty is placed on the local planning authority to pay special attention to the desirability of preserving or enhancing the character or appearance of the conservation area. Anyone intending to do works to trees in a conservation area is required to give the planning authority 6 weeks notice.

    There are, at present, 27 conservation areas within Bolsover District, all of which can be viewed using the Find My.. mapping feature at the top of this page.

    Aspley Grange Astwith Barlborough
    Belph Bolsover Carnfield Hall
    Clowne Creswell Elmton
    Elmton-with-Creswell Farmsteads Hardstoft Hardwick and Rowthorne
    Markland and Hollinhill Grips Newton Old Blackwell
    Palterton Pleasley Park and Vale Pleasley Village
    Scarcliffe Southgate House Stainsby
    Steetley Stony Houghton Tibshelf
    Upper Langwith Whaley Whitwell

    Heritage at Risk

    We have made significant progress over the years to protect and conserve some of the more prominent historical buildings in the District, such as the Model Village and the former Church of England Schools in Creswell.

    However, we are aware that a large number of historic buildings are at risk and therefore we have prepared a Heritage at Risk Strategy (1MB) which prioritises action to tackle a further twenty-one buildings or group of buildings at risk across the District. The priority buildings include historic farmsteads, former railway buildings, former shops and pubs as well as smaller residential properties.

    What can you do about Heritage at Risk?
    If you know of a historic building that is at risk, where it has recently become more at risk, or if you are the owner or are interested in helping the Council save a building at risk, please let us know immediately. 

    More information
    More information on Heritage at Risk can be viewed at:

    Listed Buildings

    English Heritage is responsible for compiling and updating a List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Listed Buildings are graded I, II* or II in recognition of their relative importance. They include fine examples of buildings associated with well-known architects or, a particular architectural period.

    Within the District there are presently 395 listed buildings, ranging from minor structures such as street furniture and telephone kiosks through to internationally recognised buildings such as Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Hall.

    The whole of the building is protected. This includes its interior; where historic fabric survives, as well as its exterior. Objects or structures within the grounds, which have formed part of the land since before 1 July 1948, are also protected.

    We have a statutory duty to ensure that all works to listed buildings preserves their special historic or architectural character. Any demolition, extensions or alterations that affect the character will require prior Listed Building Consent. This may include some internal alterations and certain repairs and maintenance works.

    It is not the intention of listing to prevent any alterations or changes to a building, but to ensure that if works are carried out they respect the building's historic and architectural character. There will, however, be a strong presumption in favour of preservation and minimising any disturbance to the building. It is an offence to carry out any of these works to a listed building without Listed Building Consent and we may take action against any unauthorised works.

    It is always preferable to proceed with the sympathetic repair of a listed building. We can advise on correct repair techniques and those repairs, which can be carried out without the need for Listed Building Consent.

    There is a statutory duty on the owners of listed buildings to maintain their property in a manner that preserves its architectural or historic character. This can result in a higher than usual financial responsibility. If a listed building falls into disrepair or is not being properly preserved we can enforce repairs through legal action if necessary.

  • Planning Appeals & Applications Open or Close


    Please note that from 17 January 2018, the Government are introducing an increase of 20% on planning fees. You can read more about the statutory instrument on the Government's legislation website.


    When an application has been received by us, various checks will be carried out to ensure that all information required to process the application has been received. If further information is required, the application will be made invalid and further information will be requested from the applicant/agent, e.g. an additional fee or additional plans.

    Once an application has been made valid it is assigned to a Planning Officer who will then carry out all the necessary checks and inspections. 

    All parties can view all representations made online via the Planning Portal website. Comments from neighbours will also be available although some private details including signatures, telephone numbers and email addresses are redacted and not available for viewing online. Please note that following a decision of the Information Commissioner, names and addresses will be revealed online.

    You can track the progress of a planning application online - for further details go to the view planning applications page below.

    Householder Enquiry Form

    If you are proposing householder development e.g. the erection of extensions, garages, fences, etc, you can complete a householder enquiry form (282kb) and return it to us. This is currently a service we offer free of charge therefore response times cannot be guaranteed and standard planning applications will take priority.

    Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan (also known as a block plan), to be submitted as supporting documents. You can Buy a Plan to support your application from the Planning Portal website.

    Design and Access Statements

    Design and Access Statement (99kb) is now required to be submitted with most Planning Applications. Further guidance on design and access statements can be found via the planning portal. You may need approval under the Building Regulations as well as planning permission if you are proposing building works. You should check with building control before starting any work.

    Search Planning Applications

    Details of all planning applications are held in the Online Planning System where you can find and comment on planning applications that are being considered near you. You can search for applications by property, application reference and even using a map. You can also track an application as it goes through the planning process.

    Please note: you must register with us if you want to comment online or track an application.

    All personal information provided to Bolsover District Council will be held and treated in confidence in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. It will only be used for the purpose for which it was given, however if you choose to comment on a planning application your name and address will be publicly available as part of the planning process.


    If your planning application has been turned down, you can appeal to The Planning Inspectorate.

    Before you appeal against a decision, you should speak to a Planning Officer to see whether or not an amendment to your original application could resolve the issues.

    The time limits in which you need to submit your appeal to the Planning Inspectorate are as follows:

    • Householder applications - the time limit to appeal is 12 weeks from the date of the notice of the decision or determination giving rise to an appeal.
    • In other cases, appeals should be submitted to the Planning Inspectorate within six months of the date of the decision notice giving rise to the appeal.
    • Where we have failed to make a decision, an appeal against non-determination can be submitted up to six months after the expiry of the period we had for dealing with the application.

    Where an Enforcement notice has been served on the same, or substantially the same, development the time limits to appeal are:

    • 28 days from the date of the refusal or the expiry of the period which we had to determine the application, where the enforcement notice is served before the application is submitted;
    • 28 days from the date of the refusal or the expiry of the period which we had to determine the application, where the enforcement notice is served before the decision on the application is reached or the determination period has expired; or
    • 28 days from the date the enforcement notice is served, where the enforcement notice is served after the decision or expiry of the period which we had to reach a decision on the application, unless the effect would be to extend the period beyond the usual time limit for cases not involving an enforcement notice, as outlined above.

    If you have any further enquiries regarding the information above, please use the contact us details on the right of this page to get in touch.

  • Planning Enforcement Open or Close

    In accordance with  Government guidance, the planning department  have produced a ‘Draft Planning Enforcement Plan’.

    The ultimate  aim of the Plan seeks to  promote effective planning enforcement whilst  maintaining public confidence in the planning system. The councils planning department are now inviting comments on the contents of the Plan from Parish Councils, members of the public as well as any interested parties.  Please email any comments to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or alternatively post them to the Planning Department, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, S43 4JY before the 19th November 2018.

    Unauthorised development includes:

    • changing the use of land or buildings without getting planning permission first - one example is the use of a house for a business of car repairs 
    • carrying out operations without getting planning permission first. It is not just the erection of buildings that may need permission - works such as walls, fences and even the construction of hard standings often need permission
    • non-compliance with conditions imposed when planning permission is granted
    • carrying out development which is different from the details approved when planning permission is granted

    Our aims are:

    1. To contribute to a fair, transparent and effective planning system by resolving planning breaches and by using enforcement powers in cases where unauthorised development unacceptably affects public amenity or the existing use of land or buildings
    2. To take proactive action to improve the environment of the area
    3. To monitor development under way to make sure it fully complies with the terms of any planning permission

    How to report an unauthorised development
    If you suspect an unauthorised development has taken place you should report this to us in writing by filling in an Unauthorised Activity Enquiry form (82kb). Telephone reports will only be acted upon if there are special circumstances or if there is special urgency, such as someone knocking down a protected building or tree. Anonymous reports will not be pursued, unless there is a clear and obvious breach of planning control.

    For any further planning enforcement queries please contact us using the contact details on the right of this page.

  • Trees and Hedgerows Open or Close

    Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) are used to protect selected trees and woodlands if their removal would have a significant impact on the environment and its enjoyment by the public. Priority for Tree Preservation Orders is generally given to trees which are considered to be under threat, for example where development is proposed. Trees in Conservation Areas may be protected by TPOs but where they are not, there is a duty to give us six weeks notice in writing before carrying out any work.

    Hedgerow Regulations
    Hedgerows represent some of the most important wildlife habitats in lowland Britain. The Regulations are intended to protect important hedges in the countryside. Anyone proposing to remove a hedge to which the Regulations apply must give the Council six weeks notice and give the reason for seeking to remove it.

    High Hedges

    Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges. As long as you have made reasonable attempts to resolve your dispute, you can bring your complaint about your neighbour’s evergreen hedge to us. If you wish to make a formal complaint about a High Hedge, you should contact us to request the relevant application forms or you can download the form here.. You will need to pay a fee of £390 if you make a formal complaint. This is needed to cover the cost of the work in dealing with your complaint.

    Further information is available on the Government’s website.

Latest Promotion

Whitwell Pick n Mix

What's on

22 Jan 2019 09:30- 
23 Jan 2019 10:00- 
 Growth Scrutiny Committee
24 Jan 2019 10:00- 
 Licensing Committee
29 Jan 2019 09:30- 

Latest Tweets

Go to top