English Czech French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish


We administer many types of licences aimed at protecting the public's health and safety and avoiding nuisance.

If you propose to open a new business or arrange any fund raising event, it is always best to check if any licence or permissions are required. The procedures, costs and legalities for obtaining a licence varies depending upon what you want the licence for.

Alcohol & Entertainment

If your business provides any licensable activities - sell alcohol, hot food and drink, or provide certain types of public entertainment - you will need a licence from us. A public register is currently being compiled which will give details of all licences and certificates granted under the Licensing Act 2003.

A licensable activity can be:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol at a club
  • the provision of regulated entertainment eg live or recorded music, dancing, indoor sporting event
  • the provision of facilities to allow regulated entertainment to take place
  • the provision of late night refreshment between 11 pm and 5 am.

There are four types of licences which you can apply for

  1. If you sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, you should apply for a Premises Licence
  2. If you are a club that supplies alcohol, regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, apply for a Club Premises Certificate
  3. If you supply or authorise the sale of alcohol, (other than in premises having a Club Premises Certificate) then you will need to apply for a Personal Licence
  4. If you are organising a small scale (less than 500 people) event and intend to sell alcohol/refreshments or provide regulated entertainment, then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

How to apply for a licence
You can obtain information on current applications or licensed premises hours and conditions by searching the online public register.

Members of the public who live in the vicinity of the premises or those involved in a nearby business are able to make representations when new applications are made or call for a review where problems in relation to crime and disorder, public nuisance, public safety or protection of children from harm exist. Any interested party or responsible authority may call for the review of a premises licence if they believe that the licensing objectives are not being promoted. 

If you wish to cease being a Designated Premises Supervisor then please complete this form and serve it on the Council and the Premises Licence Holder.

Licensing Reviews
The operators of licensed premises are required to actively promote the four licensing objectives:

  1. Prevention of crime and disorder
  2. Prevention of public nuisance
  3. Public safety
  4. Protection of children from harm

Any interested party or responsible authority may call for the review of a premises licence if they believe that the licensing objectives are not being promoted.

This process is evidenced based and so it is important that the person who is calling for a review has evidence to substantiate the application. The best way to do this is to keep diaries of the events that have lead to the application including videos or photographs if they are available. The police and environmental protection maintain computer records of calls made to them. These records can be called for by the person applying for the review to assist in substantiating the application. A record of continued calls in respect of a premise may add weight to the review application. The Department for Culture Media and Sport have produced detailed guidance for persons who are thinking of applying for the review of a premises licence. 

Calling for a Review
Application for a review must be made on the Licensing Review (115kb) application form and submitted to us at Licensing Team, Bolsover District Council, 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield , Derbyshire S42 6NG. Copies must also be sent on the same day to the premises licence holder and to each of the responsible authorities. Failure to send these copies may render the application as invalid.

The Licensing Manager can refuse to pursue a review that is deemed to be malicious, vexatious or repetitive. Unless there is substantially new evidence for seeking a review the application will not normally be allowed if there has been a review on substantially similar grounds in the previous 12 months.

The Licensing Authority will then place a notice on or near to the premises in a position where members of the public can read it giving notice of the application and calling for representations either for the review or in support of the premises licence holder. This notice will be displayed for a period of 28 days during which time representations can be made. Representations will only be accepted from responsible authorities or interested parties

After the representation period a hearing must be held within 20 working days unless action can be agreed that makes the review unnecessary. To this end the Licensing Manager is able to negotiate between the parties to see if there is any way to avoid the review hearing.



Pet Shop - A pet shop application form (50kb) must be accompanied by a fee of £69.00. The premises will be inspected by one of our officer's to ensure that any animals kept on the premises are kept in suitable conditions. The fee is reviewed on an annual basis and the details kept on a register (22kb). The fee for a pet shop wanting to sell dangerous wild animals is £84.00 plus vets fees. 

Riding Establishment - If you wish to set up a business that keeps horses to let them out for hire for riding or riding instruction then please complete the application form (78kb). The licence fee is £84.00 (plus vet's fee) and will be issued subject to compliance with licence conditions and payment of the licence. These licenses are renewable annually and the details are kept on a register (23kb). We will arrange for the inspection of horses and premises by a veterinary surgeon to ensure the welfare of the horses and that the accommodation is suitable. 

Dangerous Wild Animals - The keeping of exotic, dangerous and wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 and includes animals such as some birds, carnivores, mammals, marsupials, primates, reptiles, snakes and spiders. The Act aims to ensure that where individuals keep dangerous wild animals, they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and safeguards the welfare of the animals. An application form (52kb) together with the fee of £84.00 plus vets fees is required and the details are kept on a register (7b9). 

Animal Boarding Licence - This licence covers catteries and kennels. You must complete an application form (52kb) together with the fee of £69.00 (plus any veterinary inspection fees) and the details are kept on a register (72kb). The applicant must be able to demonstrate to us that the animals will, at all times, be kept in suitable accommodation and that they will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding materials, adequately exercised, and visited at suitable intervals. The applicant must also take all reasonable precautions to prevent and control the spread of infectious or contagious diseases, including the provision of adequate isolation facilities and that appropriate measures will be taken to protect the animals in case of fire or other emergency, including the provision of suitable fire fighting equipment. A register containing a description of the animals received into the establishment, including the date of arrival and departure, and the name and address of the owner will be kept.

Breeding of Dogs - An application form (53kb) must be completed plus a fee of £84.00 (plus vet's fees).  Where a licence is granted, that licence and any subsequent licence will expire one year from the date on which is was granted and must be renewed before the date of expiry if the premises are to continue as a dog breeding establishment. The details are kept on a register (20kb).

Applications, Reviews and Variations

As part of the Licensing Act 2003, we advertise applications for premises licenses, club premises certificates, variations and requests for reviews.

All applications are advertised for a period of 28 days, beginning the day after we have received the application. The exception to this is minor variations which are only advertised for 10 days. All current advertisements are displayed below.

Application for a Minor Variation to a Premises Licence
Roadchef Development Holdings Limited
Premises: Tibshelf Motorway Service Area (Southbound), Roadchef Tibshelf Services M1 Southbound, Newtonwood Lane, Tibshelf, Alfreton, DE55 5TX
Details of Application: Changes to the internal layout of the premises.
Deadline for representations: 22nd March 2017
Contact for representations: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 01246 217548

Application for a Variation to a Premises Licence
Daniel Stephen Hunt
Premises: The Village Inn, The Old School, Mill Street, Clowne, S43 4JN.
Details of Application: Variation to add 'off' sales to the premises licence and reduce the operating hours of the premises.
Deadline for representations: 30th March 2017
Contact for representations: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 01246 217548

Deregulation Act 2015

The Deregulation Bill received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015 and a number of changes were made to the Licensing Act 2003:  

  • The requirement to renew personal licences was abolished on 1 April 2015 
  • Changes to regulated entertainment took effect from 6 April 2015
  • The offence of selling liqueur confectionary to children under the age of 16 was repealed on 26 May 2015  
  • The requirement to report lost or stolen licences to the Police before applying for  duplicates was abolished on 26 May 2015  
  • The number of events that will require a Temporary Events Notice (TEN) that can be held at a premises will increase from 12 to 15 per year from 1 January 2016

Changes to Regulated Entertainment

Live Music

Live amplified music in on-licensed premises authorised and open for the sale of alcohol does not require a licence for audiences up to 500 people until 11pm. This includes beer gardens and terraces if they are included within the boundaries of the licensed premises.

If a beer garden is not shown on the licensed plans then it is likely to be a workplace which benefits from a similar exemption. Karaoke is considered live music. Live unamplified music does not need a licence anywhere and with no audience limit between 8am to 11am.

Recorded Music

Recorded music in Licensed Premises will benefit from the same exemption as live music, with the same audience limit of up to 500 and covers DJ's and discos. Up until now, most recorded music above background level has been licensable under the act.

There is no equivalent "workplace" exemption. Background live and recorded music continues to be exempt under the changes.

Performance of plays, indoors sporting events and performance of dance

Plays could include school performances but also a themed story with paid actors at a pub. Performances of dance includes any dancing that is intended to entertain an audience. For audiences up to 500 (and in the case of indoor sporting events, up to 1,000) from 8am until 11pm do not require authorisation under the act.

Lap dancing and other forms of sexual entertainment are allowed up to 11 occasions per calendar year at a premises remain regulated under the 2003 act. Any further occasions will usually require a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence.


A non-profit film exhibition held in a community premises between 8am until 11pm on any day provided that the audience does not exceed 500. The organiser must get consent from a person responsible for the premises and ensure that the screening abides by age classification ratings.

The showing of pre-recorded films which are incidental to some other activity is not licensable. This is will be dependent on the facts of each case and whether the showing of any pre-recorded film is likely to undermine one of the licensing objectives.

Boxing and Wrestling

This activity remains regulated under the act (which now includes mixed martial arts) apart from Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling provided that the audience does not exceed 1,000 and takes place between 8am and 11pm. None of the exemptions affect the need to apply for copyright licensing or the requirement to not cause noise or any other nuisance.

Age Verification Policy

The premises licence holder or club premises certificate holder must make sure that an age verification policy applies to the premises in relation to the sale or supply of alcohol. This must, as a minimum, require individuals who appear to the responsible person to be under the age of 18 years of age, to produce on request (before being served alcohol) identification bearing their photograph, date of birth and a holographic mark.

Examples of acceptable ID include:  

  • A form of ID which meets the criteria laid out above, such as Touch2id  
  • Photo card driving licences 
  •  Passports  
  • Proof of age cards bearing the PASS hologram (e.g. Validate or CitizenCard)

The premises licence holder or club premises certificate holder must ensure that staff, in particular staff who are involved in the supply of alcohol, are made aware of the existence and content of the age verification policy applied by the premises.

This condition does not exclude best practice schemes such as Challenge 21 or Challenge 25 which require individuals who appear to be under age, but over the age of 18, to provide ID.

Derbyshire Constabulary, Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards and Bolsover District Council's preferred age verification scheme is Challenge 25.

Food Businesses

If you are planning to start a food business, you must register your premises at least 28 days before opening. This applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home, and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans. If you use two or more premises you will need to register all of them using our Food Registration Form (89kb).

If food premises are to be used by several catering businesses (for example a village hall or conference centre) the person who allows the premises to be used for this purpose is responsible for registering them. All food businesses are required to have a documented food safety management system based on the principles of HACCP.  Although this may sound onerous a small catering business can get a free guidance pack called Safer Food and Better Business from the Food Standards Agency.

If you have a mobile catering vehicle our Mobile Catering Guide (220kb) will help to provide you with the legal requirement you must comply with and also details advice and good practice measures.

In partnership with the Food Standards Agency, we launched the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme in April 2011, where a food hygiene rating for a food premises is established following an inspection and taking into account observations and discussions made during the visit.

Do you have a food hygiene rating of 3 or more?

If so you may be eligible to join the “Heart of Derbyshire” scheme. This is a scheme which is operated by Derbyshire County Council together with Bolsover District Council that rewards you for offering your customers ‘healthier’ food.

For information about the scheme please visit the Heart of Derbyshire section of the Derbyshire County Council website or telephone 01629 536166.

Heart of Derbyshire logo


The Gambling Bill modernises the law on gambling and provides for a unified regulator for gambling, the Gambling Commission. It introduces three licensing objectives which underpin the functions of the Commission and the Council.

There are three types of licence:

  1. An Operator Licence, concerned with the management and conduct of gambling, issued and regulated by the Commission
  2. A Personal Licence, for persons with key operational functions connected with the gambling business, issued and regulated by the Commission
  3. A Premises Licence, for the property where the gambling takes place, issued and regulated by the Council.

The Act also regulates amusement with prizes machines and lotteries. Information on current applications or licensed premises and conditions is available by searching the online public register.

Further information, is available from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and Gambling Commission websites.

Scrap Metal & Motor Salvage

The UK Government passed the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 with the intention of regulating scrap metal dealers, collectors and motor salvage operators. The Act replaced all of the existing legislation for motor salvage operators and scrap metal dealers.

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into force on 1 October 2013. Under the new Act there are two types of licence:

  1. A Site Licence (381kb) – this will be required where a business is carried on as a scrap metal dealer at a premises. A site manager will be required to be named for each site. The licensee will then be permitted to operate from that site as a scrap metal dealer including transporting to and from those sites from any local authority area. We have published our list of scrap sites (96kb).
  2. A Collector’s Licence (381kb) – this authorises the licensee to operate as a mobile collector in the area of the issuing local authority permitting them to collect scrap metal as appropriate. This includes commercial as well as domestic scrap metal. If a mobile collector operates within more than one local authority’s district, a licence will be required for each authority that (s)he operates in. We have published our list of scrap collectors (92kb).

The implementation timetable is as follows:-

  • The parts of the Act creating an offence of carrying on a business as a scrap metal dealer unless authorised by a licence and the transitional provisions for existing registered collectors/dealers to apply for a new licence will come into force on the 1st October 2013.
  • The parts of the Act which bring into force other provisions will come into force on the 1st December 2013.

In order to apply for a licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 persons will be required to make an application to the council. The application form should be accompanied by the following:

  • The relevant fee.
  • A basic DBS check for every person named in the application, which is less than 3 months from the date of issue (see information below). 
  • A passport style photograph of every person named on the application (If applying for a collectors).

All applicants and named persons will be required to prove their identity by means of photographic identification, e.g. a passport or photo card driving licence and a utility bill. It is therefore necessary that your application is given to the licensing team in person. Your identity and your DBS certificate will be checked and copied, then immediately returned to you. Please discuss these requirements with a licensing officer if you are unsure what to bring in with your application.


If scrap metal is a by-product of your business you may be exempt from the need to be licensed, it will be necessary for you to prove the proportion of your business that consists of dealing in scrap metal.

Mobile Collectors

Mobile Collectors who work in different council areas will have to apply for a collectors licence in each of those areas. You must contact the relevant council to obtain an application form.

Every person working on a vehicle collecting scrap metal must be licensed unless they are properly employed by a business licensed for a site or as a collector. 

DBS Certificate

Before you apply, you and every person listed on the application form, need to obtain a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland.


Registration Fees



Site Licences


Collectors Licence


Add an additional site






Change of Details


Replacement Licence










Skin Piercing

If you wish to undertake any/all of the following: Tattooing; Piercing; Acupuncture or Electrolysis then the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part VIII requires registration (82kb) to cover both the person and the premises. The applicant must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used for the above purposes comply fully with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

The cost of registering a premises is £37.00. For an individual licence the cost is £23.50. It is illegal to conduct body piercing, tattooing, acupuncture or electrolysis until the registration has been formally approved.

You can also download the Bylaws regarding Skin Piercing (64kb), Acupuncture (63kb) and Tattooing (64kb).

Street Trading & Collections

A charitable collection must not be held in any street or public place in Bolsover District without a street collection permit issued by us. Applications (264kb) should be made at least one month before the proposed date of the collection. The collection is subject to regulations relating to such matters as the minimum age of collectors and the safeguarding and auditing of proceeds.

Any person wishing to make an appeal to members of the public by means of a collection for charitable purposes, by way of house to house visits (including places of business, such as public houses) requires a licence (197kb) issued by us.

Certain charities holding Home Office Exemption Orders do not need a licence but must notify us of the collection dates and the specific areas to be covered by the collection.

All collectors must wear a badge which is obtained from The Stationary Office.  The Stationary Office can be contacted by telephone on 0870 6005522 or their address is: TSO Ltd, Post Cash Department, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GM

Following the charitable collection the organiser must submit a return (26kb) to us that details the amount collected and all expenses incurred.  This return must be submitted wihin 3 months of the end of the collection. There is no charge for the notification.

Taxis & Minicabs

Please visit our main taxis and minicabs page for further information.

. If you have already decided to take Generic Levitra, be sure to consult a doctor, you don't have any contraindications and act strictly due to a prescription.

Licensing contacts

 01246 217877

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Report it online



Skin Piercing


Read it online

Animal Boarding Licence

Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

Dog Breeding Licence

Licensing Review Application

Riding Establishment Licence

Pet Shop Licence

Food Registration Form

Scrap Metal Dealers Licence

Street Trading Licence

Licensing Act Fees

Latest Business Articles

Contact your councillor or MP

Enter your Postcode below:

This service is provided by writetothem.com

When is my bin collection?